Eagle Rock Loop

Eagle Rock Loop is a 25.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Caddo Gap, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Glenwood area: There are 5 trailheads. (1.) Albert Pike Recreation Area off Highway 369. ( 2.) Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (3.) 4 miles west of Little Missouri Falls on Forest Road 25. (4. &5.) east of Bard Springs Recreation Area on Forest Road 106.

1 hour ago

Went with my two good buddies from a Saturday- Monday. It was a blast! Beautiful scenery and plenty of camping sites. What a great hike!

Did this trail in mid July. It was a great time; temperature was almost perfect (could've been a little colder). The north-eastern section of the trail is definitely the hardest (lots of hills), but if you plan your trip to do half the hills in one day, and the other half the next day, it'll be much more manageable. There are tons of super scenic spots on this trail, and plenty of spots to refill water (if it has rained in the past couple weeks). Crossing the little Missouri could be tough if the water levels are high so plan accordingly. Overall, great trip that I plan on doing again.

Outstanding trail and so beautiful! I started at Little Missouri Falls overflow parking lot because the trail is right in front of you. There were 3 river crossings and it could have been 5 where water shoes are required and there are several other stream crossings as well. My trail runners were damp half of the time. Traveling counter-clockwise, I camped on the straight part of the trail just past Eagle Rock Summit the first night. I fell just 3 miles short of completing my hike the second day, but landed at an incredible campsite to enjoy my last night. Starting from where I did was perfect because you get through the big ups and downs while your fresh. The final one:, Brush Heap Mountain is a real doozy!

great hike

It was a great experience with this trail. As soon as reviewed this Nov 2016, I made up my mind to do backpacking Dec 17, 2016. I went ccw starting from WS parking. Even though blazes were helpful, I got confused twice around little missouri falls. While gage height was around 2ft, i had to cross wet three times. Because of my miscalculation, I had to sleep in hammock on the top of eagle rock vista at 18F lol. It was a really challenging trail, but I enjoyed and will come back again Jan 2017 with my sons.

Wow, such an incredible trail. We went clockwise around the trail starting in the Northwestern corner. The trail is full of streams and water crossings. I only had to cross wet twice. Blazes are plentiful, just make sure you pay attention it's easy to get off trail on accident. We hiked the hard mountainous section last. Do not underestimate the difficulty of it. There are at least 5 significant climbs, we are both in good shape and had to take numerous breaks. Next time I may do the trail counterclockwise to knock out the hard part on day one. The rest of the trail is a breeze.

This trail is amazing! There is so much variety in scenery and surroundings. It is a challenge especially the Athens Big Fork section, but that is also what makes it fun. Finished the loop in 2 days. Hiked this the Friday/Sat. after Thanksgiving and the weather was perfect - mid 50s during day and low 40s at night. The only trouble we had was that some side trails were not clearly marked. Took a wrong turn on a trail that led to a parking lot, another wrong turn on an ATV trail, and one more wrong turn onto a side trail. I suppose if we were more meticulous about looking at the map, or had sinked up our phone with an AllTrails map, we may have avoided some of these issus. But either way, I don't know why the paths couldn't have been marked more clearly. All-in-all was a loving trip!

Just wondering if anyone has hiked this towards the end of December. If you have, and you could share your experience with me, I would really appreciate it!

Everything I've read about this loop says "Not for beginners" or "Experienced hikers only". I understand now what they meant. This was my first backpacking trip and I definitely chose a challenge. I was going to give myself 3 and a half days, but the rain on day 3 encouraged me to finish up the last 10 miles of the loop to avoid camping in the rain that night. Started at Albert Pike at 8:00am on 11/5 headed counter clockwise and finished at 2:30pm on 11/7. This was probably not the smartest trip I could've done not only as my first but solo as well. I do like a good challenge though. Day one was a very enjoyable 7.5 miles. i did end up pushing myself a little harder than I should've and found out the next morning I had done some minor damage to my left knee and hip. This inevitably made day 2 a beating going up and down the 6 climbs. I was going to stop at Blaylock after the 4th up and down but decided to barrel through to Eagle Rock Vista to camp for the night. I'm glad I did. I had the whole mountain to myself that night. Rain started about 3 or 4 in the morning so I had a wet camp breakdown and was already pretty wet by the time I hit the trail. It did not stop raining for the 6 hours I hiked that day. I was originally planning on breaking the last southside leg up into 2 days but decided to skip camping in the rain that night and hauled ass to the finish line back at Albert Pike. I did find a sweet cave around noon to dry off in for a second. My mom and aunt dropped me off and were coming to pick me up, but they weren't planning on being there till the next day, so I hitchhiked with a lovely older couple that was out driving around to Glenwood to stay in a motel that night. It was painful and scary at points but I'm glad I got to prove to myself that I could do this. I will definitely train a little better for next time and get my pack weight down as well.

Amazing trail. I think we let our egos overtake our bodies though. The 6 ridges are tough, and not for the easily discouraged. We left out on 11/8 @ 1:30pm going counterclockwise from Little Missouri Falls Trailhead. Got back 11/10 @ 3:30pm. Very Enjoyable trail, lots of campsites. Although not all were Hammock friendly. Plenty of good water sources. I will definitely give myself more time on the next hike here, and start at the ABF/LMT trailhead to get the ridges out of the way and to be able to camp at Eagle Rock Vista.

This was my first time on this trail (first time backpacking ever). My oldest son were invited by a good friend of mine and his son. The trails were marked pretty good (never got lost even though we started our hike after dark). Planning on a second trip soon. The scenery was beautiful!