Butterfield Hiking Trail

Butterfield Hiking Trail is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chester, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The Butterfield Hiking Trail gets its name from the Butterfield Stagecoach . The Butterfield Trail is a 15 mile looped backpacking trail. It starts at the Devil's Den State Park. Trail maps are available at the Park. A free permit is required. many scenic overlooks along the trail and nice rock formations

Have hiked this trail twice now. Beautiful forest, cool rocks/boulders, very beautiful creeks.

Gorgeous

Had a great overnight backpacking experience! Went with four of my friends who are all teenagers and my dog during middle of November. We hiked the trail clockwise from Holt road and had to hike into the night a bit. The trail is very well marked with blue diamonds on the trees. Camped at mile 10 after Junction camp. Hit the road the next morning and stopped at mile 13.5-14 to fill up water bottles at Lee Creek. Overall great experience!!!!

Hey guys!
I took my college class at the end of October and we loved it!!
9 total counting me!
We started down in the camp ground and ended back in the camp ground doing it clockwise! I'd say pretty good choice. But then again soon as you leave the camp ground either way; clockwise or counter you'll begin climbing hills! lol which isn't bad!
We camped roughly around the half way point and wasn't to far from the low creek.
(Keep in mind this time of the year: Deer season just began so we saw and heard a few four wheelers nearby at the half way point.).

Tip: camp between mile sign 7 to 9. Reason? -It's level, and a creek is right next to the trail!

We camped by mile sign 9 where an old house site was and an old well! It was a good place, besides the creek being around a 100 yards away.
Mile 9 to 11 was basically up hill. Mile 11 and on was pretty flat and down hill!

Passing by the lake in the camp ground was perfect!! My class went crazy dipping their feet in!
#Arkansas.Tech.University!
-Adjunct Professor, Mr. Bass

Me and my girlfriend hiked this trail in October. The leaves were just starting to turn and the most of the small creeks were dry so we didn't have to cross water. We hiked the loop counterclockwise. There were a few steep climbs early on but they were short. The trail descends for a few miles towards the end of the trail if you hike CCW. We camped at the rock hole site where the creek was flowing enough to replenish our water for the next day's hike out. The trail is rocky. I would not recommend hiking this trail in anything other than high-top durable hiking boots. Overall the trail is worth the hike as long as you are prepared and in good shape.

I hiked this trail about 10 years ago and I'm interested in hiking it again. I did it overnight and I remember it being harder than moderate. Good beginners backpacking trail.

If all you want is a wooded area with rocks to hike in, this is a good spot, if you want any type of views or overlooks this is definitely not the place

Hiked this trail twice, moderate hike with some really cool rock formations and creek crossings.

Hiked it last year in late fall, great hike, lots of places to set up camp.

Has a cpl cool sections. Once was enough.

Amazing clean camp sites, great for a beginner, wonderful for a scout troop to backpack to get you ready

A tough trail in the heat and humidity. Weather conditions and ATVs had the trail roughed up around Junction Camp, after that the horse presence was very clear. Overall a good intermediate hike with some great swimming holes.

A great moderate hike, with awesome scenery.

mile markers were off. ended up doing 16.55 miles instead of the 13.

Great backpacking loop for a single overnighter.

6/3/2016 & 6/4/2016

The trail is 18 miles and not 15 miles as advertised we had two separate GPS devices during our hike and the mileage markers in the woods are off by a substantial amount.

We encountered two large timber rattlers on the trail, the first while climbing the waterfall and second at the campsite just past the waterfall (when going clockwise)

Overall the trail is well marked and easy to stay on, it is very rugged and overgrown in some areas, with no cell service so please don't hike alone.

For me there wasn't enough to look at the middle 8 to 10miles to justify all that trekking.