Ponca to Kyle's Landing Trail

Ponca to Kyle's Landing Trail is a 49.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deer, AR that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

whitewater kayaking

Buffalo National River: Boxley to Buffalo City is a 99 mile point-to-point trail located near Deer, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for camping, canoeing, fishing & hiking and is accessible from March until October.

Great for all skill levels and kids. Amazing views of the Buffalo River!

Hiked Ponca to Pruitt. One of my favorite trails in Arkansas. Great camping spots at Horseshoe Bend. Love hiking all day on quiet trails, running into the occasional hiker, and making camp by the river at night. Great trail.

We had an amazing time here, we spent the day last summer. We had a picnic and just lounged in the water. Great place to take the family on a hot summer day to just cool of and enjoy the great outdoors. The view is amazing!

Great campground on the Buffalo with good amenities for groups and convenient access to an outfitter. Great hiking all around.

My daughter and I hiked Boxley to Ponca and definitely want to go back and hike some more. Beautiful area, great time of year to see fall colors!

One of the best backpacking trips I've ever been on. The mosquitos were a little heavy handed, but still the most gorgeous place I've been in a while.

I want to live here. No words for the beauty!

canoeing

Canoed from Ponca to Pruitt. Used the Lost Valley Canoe. Absolutely the worse service. Left us on the river for 5 hours. Flood levels. Left our car at wrong location. Said it was our fault that we did not understand that they were busy. The River was dangerous and they did not tell us.
Do not use this business. Buffalo River Outfitter are much better. I will contact the National Park Service, as they are a licensed provider. They should lose their license. Otherwise the river was high and fast. If you are not experienced, do not ride the river when the Ponca Low Water Bridge is anything under 10 inches of air space. .

Have used the primitive campground a number of times. Great staging area. This is a for fee NF campground, but in the winter months is is open for free camping.

canoeing

I've hiked Ponca to Kyle's many times.
And have canoed here count less times. It's wild to mild depending on water Levals. The good people at lost valley canoe can help you with shuttle service weather your canoeing or hiking. They also rent canoes, cabins, primitive camp sights, showers, and last Minot supply's

I hate haven to pay for camping.

canoeing

I have been canoeing the Ponca to Kyle's Landing section of this river since 1978. Then and during the 1980s, one could encounter significant whitewater if you caught the water flow right. I have noticed a change in the flow, not as many rapid formations. I discussed this with a local outfitter who stated that the floods have caused the river to change course, eliminating some of the more fun spots. It is still a beautiful river and I love hiking the trails around it, like Hawksbill Crag, Goats Trail to Big Bluff, Hemmed in Hollow, etc.

Camping here is convenient, with decent toilet facilities, but it is row camping next to a parking area. When we were there ticks and chiggers were crazy!

whitewater kayaking

This was a lot of fun for first time Kayakers like us. The river is scenic through the first half of this stretch and the 27 class 1 rapids also keep it very interesting. Our inexperience meant that we took a couple of tumbles each, but got away with just scratches and bruises.

Hiked the 2.6 from Kyles to Ponca. Trail departs from just behind the Kyles Landing bathrooms, ends at the parking lot at Ponca Landing. Some moderate climbs for the first half mile as you go up the bluff from the Kyles campground. From there is fairly level until the descent to Ponca. Great scenery and perfect weather on the first day of spring.

canoeing

Canoed the upper Buffalo River, from Ponca to Kyles Landing. Approximately 10 miles. Water level was low. Some rapids. The bluffs and scenery were beautiful.

Did Boxley to Pruitt a few years ago in May...absolutely perfect time to be out there! Slaty Place kicked out butts, but the views along the trail are fantastic. Wish the horse trails didn't piggyback the hiking trails so much. Headed to do Wollum to Tyler Bend this weekend...should be cold. Buffalo River is a wonderful treasure.

We had originally set out to take the Lost Valley hike but had to change to this because Lost Valley no longer allows dogs.

We hiked about a mile up and a mile back along the river with the dogs. It was a pretty leisurely hike but wore the pups out because of the sand and rocks, which is what we were hoping for. While it wasn't difficult, the scenery was awesome, it was a late fall day so there were a lot of shadows.

There are horse trails that run along the river, but suprisingly this place was not busy at all.

This is a huge campground and it can be very busy in the nicer weather months. The campground is right on the Buffalo River, and it's backdrop is a huge bluff. If you're backpacking the Buffalo River from Boxley, then this can be a good stop for the weary backpacker. If you go in the off season months, the bathrooms will be closed (there are permanent porta potties that are open year round). In the off season months the water will be turned off. Either pack in your own water if car-camping, or if you're backpacking, make sure to bring a water filter if you need drinking water. You can filter all the water you need from the Buffalo River.