Athens - Big Fork Trail

Athens - Big Fork Trail is a 9.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mena, AR that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

9.1 miles Out & Back

Southern trailhead: Take Highway 246 west from Athens to Forest Road 38. Turn right on Forest Road 38 for 9/10 mile. Turn right on Weyerhaeuser Road 53800 for 7/10 mile, then left on Forest Road B23F and follow it 9/10 mile to the trailhead sign. Northern trailhead: Take Highway 8 from Big Fork to Forest Road 38 and turn south. Travel for 1.5 miles to Forest Road B15. The trailhead is at the end of the road.

Steep climbs, nice decents.

Extremely difficult trail. Part of an out and back marathon the first week of January.

My husband and I hiked this trail August 2014. It wasn't marked very well towards the end of the trail, but being August everything was grown up. We encountered a large black bear at the top of the mountain. It was an experience for us considering we had NEVER hiked before!!!

The Athens-Big Fork trail is a very demanding trail that takes you up and over and back down several mountains in 10 miles. the mountain top views and general scenery is well worth the trip. I did it in 5.5 hours, you should alllow at least 8 hours. I pushed hard to do it in the time that I did. It is a point to point trail. However you can combine this trail with a couple of others and make a 25 mile loop trail called Eagle Rock loop.