Artist Point Trail

Artist Point Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountainburg, AR that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1 mile out and back. The trail begins to the right of the gift shop, through the gate and down the hill you go. The trail is well marked and you just need to enjoy the views and scenery as you hike along. You'll pass a small bluff when you turn left that has some carving if you can search them out. There is a spring on the right just before the switchbacks. Be sure to step out on "Lovers Leap" to take in the view before going down the "flight of stairs". You can then also find a huge natural rock bridge that spans the creek making it an awesome to spend a few minutes before continuing. Did I mention it is steep coming back so this trail is not recommended for the pregnant, elderly or those with health issues.

This is the wrong time of year for waterfalls, but we figured we'd check it out anyway. We were rewarded with a mere trickle, but this is a really nice hike, and it's all about the journey, not the destination, right?

You're basically hiking down into the ravine, and then hiking back up out. The trail involves a lot of loose, rock areas, and an energetic dog on a leash could pull you to certain doom. We left ours at home, and enjoyed this short, enervating hike. My husband swears the noise we heard was a bear, but I insist it was a distant cow. Regardless, bear have, apparently, been seen on/near the trail, so keep your wits about you.

Do stop in the gift shop! There's a fun selection of jams and mustards, and the little museum is surprisingly interesting. Make sure you get to the back room for the view and to watch the hummingbirds. There's a spectacular view from the back porch, and do take a moment to marvel at all the kudzu.

Best part of the trail is the view at the beginning. We had rain the day before so waterfall at the bottom had at least a trickle of water, but plan to go after a few days of heavy rain. Do not be discouraged by what you read about the elevation change; very easy unless you never hike and are expecting an escalator or hand rail. Wife and I hiked with 1.5y/o strapped to chest. Stop by gift shop and see parrot and grab a geode on the way out. 24 mins down/26 mins up.

Lady at the store says there is a bear out there so I was pretty freaked out going down. The views from the trail did not meet my expectations. However the hike back up the trail was an excellent work out.

Pretty place. Multiple falls. Explorable

Really enjoyed this hike. My three boys did great going down, but coming out was a bit of a challenge for them. Ended up having to carry my 4 year old out. We will forsure be back to explore more of the bottom next time. Waterfall was perfect.

It was beautiful. Hard hike back out. Steep but worth it.

Took my son he's 9 it was kind of hard on him it wasn't a long distance but it was steep.

Very pretty waterfall, but definitely wait until a good rain. Very few people on the trail, probably saw 10 people the 4 hours we were there, which was really nice. The hike there is easy, but steep, and the hike back is definitely for someone who is rather fit. Not easy

Hard climb back out. Worth it, especially when water running. In my opinion not a route for the unfit, very young or older!!

Very easy trail on the way "down". You will need to go after a heavy rain if you want to see the waterfall flowing much at all. Spend hour or so there and get prepared for the "climb" back out. It is just a steady uphill all the way back to the gift shop where you will be able to purchase a cold drink.

WARNING! This is not a trail for fat people! lol I very much fit into that category and I didn't know if I was gonna make it back out! The work it took to get there was worth it though.beautiful waterfall!

Very nice short hike right off the highway. Easy enough for the entire family, but not sure about strollers. There is a nice waterfall when the water is running.

Quick and easy trek down to the waterfalls, although coming back out is a bit more strenuous. Several great spots to stop and read.

The waterfall was barely running but it was worth the hour we drove here to see it because the rest of the trail was gorgeous. The fall colors in the woods were so pretty... Lots of bright yellows! The view from the trailhead and at the gift shop is amazing as well. My 5 year old did great with some help needed now and then, but I wouldn't suggest this trail for the under 5 kids. Also, the trail is almost all downhill and very steep in some places so be prepared for a tough climb out! Planning to hopefully come back again this fall after a heavy rain and maybe do a winter hike here as well since I'm sure the falls would be dripping with icecicles. I blogged about our adventure here: http://www.adventuresintheozarks.com/2013/11/artist-point-trail-in-mountainburg-ar.html