Yankee Doodle Trail

Yankee Doodle Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Prescott, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from March until November.

Directions from Prescott: Go east on Highway 69 for 4.9 miles to the Walker Road turnoff. On the north edge of the Walker townsite, FR670 turns east and then south to the Snowdrift Mine. Follow this road for four miles. Just a quarter mile north of the Snowdrift Mine, take FR 9490J to the northwest for .25-.5 miles to the trailhead.

This is a great canyoneering trail. You will need ropes for about 60 ft. of repelling.

I just hiked this trail - not all of it, though. I went out 2.7 miles and then back, so total of about 5.5 miles. It's moderate, though the place where I stopped was the bottom of what had to be a 15% incline, and that's where I decided I'd had enough and headed back. It's beautiful - but a few cautions. It's very narrow and bushes, trees and dead branches hang over the trail and no way to get out of their way, so you shouldn't wear sleeveless tops, and I'd recommend long pants or at least capris rather than shorts. My arms are kind of scratched up, and while I didn't see any poison ivy not sure I'd recognize it or notice it as I'm hiking. The first mile was trees on either side and beautiful, and occasionally there'd be a break where I could view the canyon and the mountains across the way. Then I came out into a very open area where I had visibility on both sidse. The road to this hike is best suited for a high-clearance vehicle, though my Hyundai Accent made it okay, but it was about 8 miles of 10-15 miles per hour which was nerve-wracking. The directions here on the site are not exactly helpful beyond Jefferson Rd.. As you hit Jefferson, where the directions here say you'll go to Forest 67 road there is no sign that says it is that. I forget all it did say, except Senator Rd. Anyway, keep going straight after the "Jefferson St ends" sign, on to an unmaintained dirt road and when you come to a place in the road where there is a pulloff both left and right, I think about 8 miles from Jefferson Rd, you'll see a sign on the left for Trail 284 - it doesn't say so, but that's Yankee Doodle Trail. If you cross the road there's a Prescott National Forest info sign that tells you that. There is NO restroom here. Yes, it's a lovely hike, but not sure I'd have the patience for that road again.

One thing I should mention - I did not see one other person on this trail the entire time.