Wilson Mountain Trail

Wilson Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, AZ that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wilson Mountain is 7,122 feet tall and named after Richard Wilson. Richard Wilson was a bear hunter who was killed by a grizzly in 1885. His body was found in Wilson Canyon, which is also named after him. This is the tallest mountain around Sedona, Arizona. The trail to the summit leads to an absolute killer-view of Sedona and far beyond, of Oak Creek, and even of the San Fransisco Peaks. The hike has two parts: Part 1 goes up to the First Bench. This can be done from Midgely Bridge (most exposed, but most scenic) and from Encinoso Picknick Area., also called North Trail. Part 2 goes from 1 bench to the Sedona Lookout. If you start out late, or loose your wind, only going up to 1st bench is well worth the effort. But the Sedona Lookout is unsurpassed, as you can see! A stunning, vertical drop of several hundred feet straight down, looking right into the famed red-rock stone sculptings of Sedona. Absolutely amazing. Although hot and at least moderately strenuous, well worth the time.

The views are absolutely unreal throughout the hike!

Absolutely beautiful...the views the views the views
Path is very easy to follow.
Weather was amazing will be back soon!

Just wrote an awesome review but it got erased. Big points: BRING LOTS OF WATER, gorgeous view, totally worth it!! 12 miles @ 5 hours (we did some exploring).

Great trail, a little overgrown at times. Not really physically challenging if you can get over the distance, bring plenty of water it's a pretty long haul. Saw a few deer on the way up and down and plenty of signs of bear activity but no bear sightings,so watch out for that. Lots of fantastic views on the way up and down

great hike, we were there the day after they reopened this trail after the oak creek canyon fire. great views and the payoff at the end is amazing. Start early and bring plenty of water also do not forget that camera

Amazing hiking trail! Couldn't believe how beautiful the ENTIRE hike was! Places to stop and take breathtaking photos almost constantly. Seen some deer, beautiful flowers and plants, and oh yea, a rattlesnake which we got too close to without even knowing. Other than that scare, what an amazing hike. Rained on us the entire day, & the only time that was unpleasant was about half way through the hike since there's some really thick brush that the water soaked up, and as you walk through it, it soaks your clothes. So about an hour of freezing but totally worth it! If you have the time, check out the Sedona Overlook also, spectacular views! Be prepared, it's not an easy hike. Not too difficult either though depending on your conditioning.

This trail was gorgeous! Challenging at times but worth it. Great weather (a little hot for March). Bring sun screen and plenty of water.

Once you get on top go to the north side to the edge and there is a really nice arch right below you in the canyon.

This was a fantastic hike. Very lightly trafficked-- I did this Memorial Day weekend and only came across one other person. Start early, because it climbs up the south face of the mountain and it gets hot pretty quickly. I started at 7:30 and wished that I had started closer to sunrise simply because of the heat. Either way, this was a very enjoyable hike, with views of the red rocks nearly every point on the way up. The trail becomes greener and flatter near the top. Some parts of the trail are rather rocky, so I would recommend a solid pair of hiking boots, especially for the trip down. Amazing views at the top, after walking through a scorched forest. The only thing I would suggest is that early on the trail, there is a sign that is incorrectly or misleadingly angled. You should take the trail-appearing ... trail on the LEFT, not on the right!

I've hiked all over Sedona and this is my new favorite! The elevation gain is steady and the views in the end were spectacular. Anyone in decent shape can do it, as long as you recognize its over 10 miles round trip. We saw a couple of rattlesnakes on the trail, so be aware their there.

less crowded

Awesome climb - somewhat challenging mainly due to distance... The scorched pine forest seems to drag on a bit just before the end of the trail, but the view at the end is spectacular (not to mention the views all the way up!)

This mountain has my heart! At 7,122 ft high it's the highest summit in Sedona. This was the most difficult trail I've ever done and this time I got to the top because there's little snow left up there now. It's not easy, you are climbing for 5.5 miles and then you have to get back down. I took 3.5 hrs to get to the top and 2 hrs back down. Not for beginners. The views are incredible and on my way down I saw approx 30 deer! Made for such an amazing experience.

Amazing! The most gorgeous scenery!! I stopped so much just to take it in and to take photos. It seems unreal. I don't have a lot of hiking experience and I'm not really in shape. That being said this took me 4 hours to complete. From parking lot to near the summit then back to parking. I went 01/16/2015 and it was MUDDY most of the way and then nearly 2 feet of snow the last mile or so. The mud made it much more work. This trail does not seem maintained at all.. There are narrow parts where thorny bushes from both sides block the trail.. And other areas where you are not sure you're on the trail. Lastly towards the top there was nearly 2 feet of snow and the trail was lost. Some hikers before me walked through and created a new trail but it was impossible to get to the top. I got about .5 mile away before deciding to turn back. I was not wearing snow boots and didn't want to soak my shoes trying to make my own trail. I give this 5 stars because it is truly amazing out there! When you get near the top there is a plateau and you can see Mount Humphreys in the distance. I wanted to stay forever and just take it in.

'Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters'
Amazing but hard hike. We wanted to do both the Sedona and north view but we knew we had to hike it again because it was too much in one day. It took us 6 hours to do the full 12 miles to the north canyon view but so worth the view. We even had a visit from a hummingbird at the summit.