West Clear Creek Trail

West Clear Creek Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 40 miles south on Interstate 17. Leave the highway at the AZ 179 exit and turn east under the freeway. Drive about 9 miles on FR 618 to FR 215 and turn east about 3 miles to the Bullpen Ranch trailhead. Or turn east off FR 618 on FR 214 about 8 miles from the highway and turn east 4.7 miles to the Bald Hill Road. Follow this primitive road about 1 mile to a rock-pile cairn that marks the trailhead.

It is such a beautiful hike!!!! It is hot so dress light. the water is amazing!!! I cant wait to hike it again. It is a great place that looks like you are in Alabama not Arizona :)

It's pretty tough, slower going and farther then I thought. pack light, you will need to push limits and that combined with spectacular scenery may cause feelings of ecstasy :)

No signs warning that the dirt road was so rough. took a fiat out there and made it to the end but it was scary. the water is brown as brown can be but its a beautiful trail and definitely one for spring time, it's just too hot in the summer for this one

The road to get to the trailhead West Clear Creek #17, following FR 216 all the way to Bull Pen Ranch, is extremely terrible. Definitely need a high clearance vehicle, unless one wants to drive less than 5mph for the next 4-5 miles on a regular passenger car. PLEASE don't disregard this at all. Most important thing is HOW to get there. That's the most valuable thing you need. Don't trust anyone that says to wing it on your regular car. Just not right.

Could not get to it because we ended up taking a mustang, so we decided to do another trail in the area. Still gave it 3 stars because the pictures are good and very nice area, but the road to get there is just as important. So stars were taken off for that.

can follow me on IG: capturingaz
Can also read some of my other reviews on www.capturingaz.blogspot.com

Well worth the time. Several creek crossings.

Awesome place to be introduced into backpacking.

I love this hike. So beautiful. We went the difficult way. We parked at the top of the canyon, at the Blodgett Basin Trailhead, and walked east along the road until we got to the West Clear Creak Wilderness trailhead off of FR 214, where we made our descent into the canyon. From there we hiked south and west along the creek until we reached the Blodgett Basin Trail, which took us up out of the canyon again. BEWARE: Blodgett Basin Trail is extremely difficult to find from the bottom; it is overgrown and apparently seldom used. Eventually we just had to start going up the side of the canyon where the trail should be until we found it.

At the beginning and at the end, the hike is steep and a bit difficult but totally worth it once you're in the creek! I loved this trail; it's so beautiful and the water was a cool and refreshing break from the heat.

West Clear Creek is awesome! We were here on Thursday and were the only ones here. After meandering through some huge Oak and Cottonwood trees, the trail goes through an open area with an old cabin. Then it reaches the water and stays within the canyon. Only went the first 3 miles. Creek crossings were about waist deep bu the water felt great! My dog Coco found a rattlesnake, but I managed to pull her back just in time. Yes folks, there are snakes here!! Took lots of photos and will be back soon! I only live 15 miles from here in Camp Verde. People no longer camp here, thus the area is uncrowded and clean. A must see!!

My favorite place, we haven't been up there in years, moved farther east so we have been exploring east Maricopa, and Pinal county's

Was the first time going on this trail. my son and I wondered off course but as long as you follow the creek you will not get lost. Has to be my best trail ever. Loved it!!!

West Clear Creek is a beautiful trail. You do have to cross the creek in a couple of places, you may want to be sure to bring a change of shoes. The creek gets deep quick in a few areas. There was a lot of poison ivy, so be careful of that. The creek is beautiful and so are the flowers and trees. Definitely one I'd do again.

GOING BACK THIS SUMMER TO DO IT AGAIN....

True, gorgeous wilderness. Amazing views. At one point you can turn off to the side, cross the creek, and go into a cavernous area. Truly breathtaking. Get ready to get wet, at least up to your belly button. There's no way around it. You have to cross the creek a number of times to continue the trail and to see it all. Also, there is a beautiful natural spring where you can take a drink of water. Best-tasting water I've ever had in Arizona, and better than anything you can buy or filter. My Beagle and Shiba Inu loved this trail. Be careful on the initial descent and when you ascend at the end of the round trip. The rocks there can be tricky and I knocked my head real good on one of them when I was coming up at the end of the hike.