Wave Cave Trail

Wave Cave Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

Tips:

Found the trail head without a problem. The thing I found which was not mentioned prior to my visit was that when you come to the fence with the yellow National Forest sign on it, you go through the fence. There are signs for trails to the left and right of the fence which I don't believe lead to the cave.We followed a small post that said "trail" with an American flag on it and ended up going out of the way. The fence is wide enough to walk through single file and is painted orange at the entry/exit.
Once you get through here it is pretty easy to follow the trail from there.

Be sure to note where the trail is when you pass through the wash of the canyon so when you come back on the way down, you don't end up going down the wash versus the actual trail.

Overall, it is a beautiful hike with amazing views. We hiked at about 9a on a week day and we were the second car in the dirt lot. The lot was almost full when we got back to the car.

trail has a lot of erosion over the years from weather and foot track but still awesome! Wear good shoes, this isn't just a nature walk like the description says.......the scenery is beyond amazing!

Loved the final destination but the trails were so poorly marked we got lost many many times!!!

One of the best hikes I've been on! Highly recommend. Was not too hard, the end it becomes pretty steep but manageable for all ages and dogs. Trail is hard to follow at some points. Make sure you go thru the fence and not the trails around it.

Fun hike with great views all the way up and back. Only problem is the most people we met took a wrong turn (as we did) and added a lot of distance and time to the hike. When you get to the fence there are trail markers to the right and left. That's not the trail to Wave Cave. Just keep going straight through the access area through the fence.

Fun trail. About 1.5-2 miles one way. The trail gets slim and there looked to be multiple routes leading to the wave cave.
Dog friendly and there is some incline so make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks so you can relax on top in the wave cave!

Great family hike. I took at 7 of my children ages 6-19. They did great. It was a challanging hike but well worth it at the cave. The cave is much bigger than it looks from below. Good hiking shoes make a big difference to keep from sliding on the way back down. We did not have a hard time staying on the trail to the top it helps if you have this app on your phone showing the way.

Amazing hike! Definitely read the reviews on how to get there, it's not marked well. I had the app open the whole time I was on the trail so I wouldn't get lost.

Beautiful scenery and the cave is pretty cool. The hike can be frustrating as the trail is not very clear and branches off onto quite a few other trails. We got lost a few times. The first half of the hike is really easy. Basically a walk. The second half gets pretty hard. Very steep and rocky. Plan on climbing over quite a few large rocks. I would not recommend small kids for this hike. My kids slipped a lot on the way down. They have a hard time pacing themselves!

This was a very beautiful hike and it was fairly easy! It took my group and I around an hour and a half to get to the cave! Totally recommend

The view from the cave is beautiful and the cave itself is worth the climb. However it is sooooooo poorly marked our 3 mile hike turned into 6 miles due to getting lost of course we eventually found our way there. I hiked with my 5 month old baby but she loved it and it was worth it!

Great trail. Beautiful views and the photo ops at the end are great. Be prepared to scramble up boulders and rocks at the end.