Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Great views and terrain.

Only walked into trail for a few miles, but really enjoyed it. We were staying in a condo right near the trailhead so going for a quick morning walk was wonderful. It was easy as far as we went, but apparently the further you go, the rougher it gets... But apparently well worth the trip. Hope to do the whole trail next time we're in Tucson.
September 2016

Great hike! Be careful when in the canyon this time of year, I found quite a few snakes. Including a relatively docile 4' rattler who seemed to be living very near the trail - I actually almost stepped on him. Make sure to look for cairns they help to keep you on the trail.

Please be careful folks! Temp's right now are dangerous if not properly equipped. 2 folks just lost their lives on this trail this week.

That being said we've been hiking this trail off and on the last week or so. In the evenings it's pretty well shaded and a very comfortable hike. It was still 90s when we hiked with camelbacks but we're just fine. Watch out for fire ants and the occasional bobcat. One of my favorite local trails though.

nice trail up a mile or two ull encounter water trickling down the lil Creek.

Very beautiful! Make sure you follow the little stone piles.

I run up to Ventana in about 2 hours. About 10k and 1200+ ascent. Using the app was crucial (previous day I got lost and tried to follow the river bed ... VERY hard). The trail is great for trail/sky running.

Very important to take water and food... Total time was about 5 hours all in all. I left 6:30 am, was nice and cool, but hot on the way down.

Absolutely beautiful.

Most was straight up.

Scenery is always changing.

Definitely a hard hike at the top but lots of tree cover to hide from the sun. The river crossing are cool and its nice to dip your hat in the hat on the way back down. Not too good for trail running as the trail is extremely technical most of the way.

Really fun hike! Didn't go all the way up but still had a great day of hiking with tons of switchbacks and the pools were small but were incredibly refreshing.

awesome view! it is a moderate to difficult trail for me, but we accidentally went to a super hard and dangerous trail, but we went back to the main trail eventually. we made almost 4 miles the way into the canyon, and 7 miles round trip. Super fun to jump on and off rocks and we will def. go back to make it to the window rock!

This is a workout, but the views are worth it. High canyon walls offer some shade on the lower parts of the trail. We counted 11 separate stream crossings all easy.

Very challenging make sure you are prepared and go early this hike took me from 9am to 9pm and it was snowing at the top which made it much more difficult, either way however I enjoyed this hike very much have fun!

Great hike, looking through the window at Tucson is amazing

fun hike... always great views

Great trail. Tough though. Leave early and have plenty of water. My wife and I got engaged at the window that day. Greatest day of my life.

Went about 5 miles in, saw the window, decided it will have to wait till another day to get that far. According to my GPS we climbed 2224 feet in that 5 miles, and from there the window was straight up. Need to go back earlier in the day (we started at 9ish) and with more water. I had 70 oz which ran dry just as we were finishing the 10 mile round trip. Very pretty views are worth the tough climbs.

Great trail. Looking for something to do during my stay so I just headed out. Trail is marked by small rock piles

Love this trail. Hiked it for the first time on November 11, 2012. It about killed me!! Very difficult but the views were breathtaking. Made it up to Window Rock. Weather was beautiful but started at 7:30 a.m. and did not get back down until 5:00 p.m. Very sore the next day. Again, a great hike all the same!!!