Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 9.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Great, hard hike but much longer than 9 miles - I clocked 12 and took about 6 hours, finishing up just after sunset (bring a light). I also carried 3L of water and used 95% of it. The view at the top is terrific, since you can see the city of Tucson as well as the other side of the Catalinas.

Incredible hike! Challenging both on the up and the down due to the rocks! We made it 12 KM up before we decided to turn around. Overall, a beautiful, fun and enjoyable hike! (PSA: Bring lot's of water and wear good footwear if you plan on hiking past 5 KM)

Great views and terrain.

Only walked into trail for a few miles, but really enjoyed it. We were staying in a condo right near the trailhead so going for a quick morning walk was wonderful. It was easy as far as we went, but apparently the further you go, the rougher it gets... But apparently well worth the trip. Hope to do the whole trail next time we're in Tucson.
September 2016

Great hike! Be careful when in the canyon this time of year, I found quite a few snakes. Including a relatively docile 4' rattler who seemed to be living very near the trail - I actually almost stepped on him. Make sure to look for cairns they help to keep you on the trail.

Please be careful folks! Temp's right now are dangerous if not properly equipped. 2 folks just lost their lives on this trail this week.

That being said we've been hiking this trail off and on the last week or so. In the evenings it's pretty well shaded and a very comfortable hike. It was still 90s when we hiked with camelbacks but we're just fine. Watch out for fire ants and the occasional bobcat. One of my favorite local trails though.

nice trail up a mile or two ull encounter water trickling down the lil Creek.

Very beautiful! Make sure you follow the little stone piles.

I run up to Ventana in about 2 hours. About 10k and 1200+ ascent. Using the app was crucial (previous day I got lost and tried to follow the river bed ... VERY hard). The trail is great for trail/sky running.

Very important to take water and food... Total time was about 5 hours all in all. I left 6:30 am, was nice and cool, but hot on the way down.

Absolutely beautiful.

Most was straight up.

Scenery is always changing.