Tom's Thumb Trail

Tom's Thumb Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Intense trail to hike. Steep in some places, but an easy trail overall. A great cardio workout. The rock formations are beautiful. Jogged a little on the way down, but some of the rock is slippery. Lots of parking available. Very popular as there were plenty of people out there.

Did this hike at the end of summer, and it got hotter than we expected. It is a very challenging, steep trail, so be prepared with lots of water. Great view of the valley at the top!

It's a great trail! Some part is a little challenging due to the steep going up. If you are into rock climbing, it's going to be a great place. I like taking photos, and this place is perfect for photography, these giant rocks, the city landscape, and the cactus are all available for composition! I have some photos on my instagram pengchen.photos

Great hike with a lot of exploring options. We found a lot of little cave-like pockets and climbing opportunities. If you up for a moderate challenge, I recommend taking an alternative route off trail down to parking.

Loved it! I would love to go back every time I visit AZ. It was a challenge but not too much of a challenge, definitely got the heart rate going and the legs burning especially the first 1-2miles which it felt was straight up hill. I was on the trail by 7:15am and it was nice to beat the crowds as it was getting busy when I was heading back down and it was a Friday! The Lookout Trail at the end was well worth the views! Will definitely be back!

A really fun hike! In town for a conference and picked this hike based on other reviews. It's great because it takes you out of town a bit and you get some great views on different directions. Taking a medium pace with stoppage to take in the sights - about 70 minutes from trailhead to Tom's Thumb. Totally worth it. It is uphill the first 1.5 miles, but no obstacles. But I can see why some people raised an eyebrow about the moderate rating. Definitely on the challenging end of moderate. Went on a Sunday afternoon. Not crowded at all. But still plenty of people to interact with.
I would definitely recommend.

I loved this hike! Best hiking trails in the Valley as far as I'm concerned! I picked a cloudy, windy, and cool day to do this and enjoyed it immensely. Perfect day! It sprinkled on the way up and poured on the way down! Very windy up top, and the clouds and shadows provided for some good pictures. The scenery and views were awesome and it wasn't even that busy. I loved looking at the huge boulders and formations, especially the Thumb! Only downside was i couldn't find the Miner's and Ogre's caves that are up here. Oh well, maybe next time! Pretty hike and I'll definitely be back!

The trail was clean and very well marked, but I can't say I would do this again. I know we all have different hiking abilities, but there was nothing moderate about this hike; it was difficult. Fairly steep incline with switchbacks just about the whole time kicked my butt going both up and down. Good workout though.

the trail starts out nice and smooth but after about 10 minutes it becomes extremely difficult for about the next 25 minutes. after that it's a beautiful hike that's really not that difficult but none the less, pretty awesome

Decent workout but not real hard. Nice views.

While there's no water, there are toilets at the trail head. It is definitely moderate. Beautiful at the top, fantastic finding the Four Peaks in view, although not a full 360 view.

Beautiful trailhead (no water) and trail. The "Thumb" looked unimpressive from below but is highly impressive up close. The first 3/4 of hike is a steady climb and then it mostly levels out near the top. Highly recommended.

Always a good hike....with friends or solo.

its so cool every time I do it

Beautiful! Be hands free as you will need them on the steeper climb.

Steep uphill hike for the first half and great view at the top!