Hawes Loop

Hawes Loop is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful area during the morning. I wouldn't call this trail easy, yet I wouldn't call it hard. Definitely bring a decent amount of water with you for this hike.

nice and easy

Great easy hike to experience nature, practically in your backyard.

great hike .

Love this trail. Beautiful views. Quiet.

Turned out to be like 9 miles

Nice hike, pretty easy if your in shape. lots of mountain bikers but still pretty awesome

Great trail! Natural terrain with great views.

Great place to trail run, lots of different terrain yet easy

Great! Had to cut it a bit short due to an appointment, but I'll be back. I entered from the Las Sendas entrance off of Thomas/Eagle Crest. People seem to like parking at the Walgreen's and crossing the canal. Look for a partially hidden entrance on the north side just after the canal. (See on the map where I ended my track)

I saw mostly mountain bikers, but not many of those. It looks like this system gets light use, which is a shame since it is beautiful and a fun trail system to run.

As for the other entrance, it is listed on Google maps (see http://bit.ly/hawes-trail-entrance). It looks like there is a small parking area on the west side of the road and the trail system access (not so much a "trailhead") is across the street and a bit to the north.

I recommend taking a map and having a GPS or compass. I found the trail signage to be a little weak and had to check my map to make the correct turn at some unmarked intersections. On the signs, the trails are numbered: Hawes Trail No. 52, Ridge Trail No. 59, Granite Trail No. 54, Saguaro Trail No. 50, and Saddle Trail No. 51, so it would be good to know the number of the trail(s) you will be using. There is a breakdown of these trail names/numbers and routes at http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoenix/hawes-trail-loops/

Couldn't find the Trailhead... Any suggestions? Also, do you need a Tonto Pass..

If you love the desert, this is the trail to navigate. Good workout, ez access, and close to town.

Went to the new desert trails Park in Mesa today and was disappointed. A friend told me about all trails so I loaded it up and found the mine loop was the closest trail near by.

This trail was an absolute blast. I'm a beginner and it was fairly technical for me. Some good climbs and great downhills. Can't wait to go and do it again. So far my favorite trail I've ran by far.

this is my second hike and I had gear on my back training for backpacking and it was an awesome hike... don't listen to people say not for beginners if you put your heart into it you will get complete it

This is a great hike, relatively flat and very picturesque. We did run into a rattlesnake slithering across the trail close to where the mine is. We think using hiking poles pushed forcefully into the ground warned him we were coming as he did not need to rattle at us.