Tanque Verde Falls Trail

Tanque Verde Falls Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I went a few years back during the wet season. I was curious and had never been before. But to my surprise, I was met with a lovely variety of terrain. There were parts of the trail that were completely flat, and others that were just boulders that needed climbing. Because the ponds and small bodies of water were filled, I had to do a bit more climbing than I had anticipated. The boulders were huge to scale but not entirely difficult for a beginner. I had decent boots. Definitely a nice hike for beginners looking for a somewhat challenging of a trail!

really nice place to start :) trail isn't the best but you get to your destination fast.

fun moderate trail, might need to take off dry shoes at times or have water shoes. some jumping and climbing involved but not that bad. fun half day hike

Today was my first experience with this trail. It rained a few days ago, but even after you hit rocks, if you looked around a little, you were able to get an idea of where the trail picked up again. There weren't a lot of people, which was nice, a few even brought their dogs. I had a blast, there were areas that you pretty much had to rock climb. The views are breath taking. There is a little bit of cactus near the trail, but other than that and some of the loose or slippery rocks, its pretty awesome. We didnt end up making it all the way up the trail. We were almost to the main waterfall, but we hit a spot where no matter which way we went, we would end up in water above out belly buttons. As you are hiking the trail, just keep in mind it is not a loop, you will probably end up taking the same path back, so be sure that if you are able to climb a rock or jump a gap in one direction, that you will be able to do it the opposite direction as well. We took a slightly different way back and ended up taking off our shoes and wading in water up to our knees. It was awesome, but cold. All in all, the trail is awesome. I would definitely bring a camera =)

rock climbing