Sunset Trail

Sunset Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.5 miles 2070 feet Out & Back

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north on US 180 to FR 420 (Schultz Pass Road). Drive 6 miles east on FR 420 to the trailhead at a parking lot on the south side of the road. Road Condition: FR 420 is graveled and barely suitable for passenger cars. The road badly needs to be graded. Closed during winter because of snowpack.

This was a great trail, pretty scenery, worth the workout.

Nice, easy trail, with a steady incline. Mostly pine trees, with some aspens. Enjoyed the peaceful scenery and the view of the peaks.

I went early this morning with my two dogs and we went up to Elden. It was absolutely beautiful! Much nicer now that's it's cooling down. Got there about 8am with only one other group on the trail. But on the way down I came across someone about every 5 minutes. So if you want to beat the crowd, go early!!!!!

Beautiful summer shady trail to beat the heat and get some amazing views

Absolutely loved this trail. Went just this past weekend, arrived at about 11:30am and made it out before the small hail storm. Fairly nice increase and probably only got a few miles in due to my pitbull mix getting tired, but overall this is a very moderate hike and is absolutely gorgeous. It is used by mountain bikers, but I did have any issues sharing the trail with them and was by myself for most of the hike, which is what I prefer. Will definitely go back to hike further in.

Can be scary if you are afraid of heights but it was a moderate hike.

Beautiful!!!

This was a beautiful trail. I accessed it via I-40 and had to take gravel roads that weren't really maintained; just FYI for compact car owners. I would absolutely go again.

Driving in from the 180 gives you a much nicer Road than approaching from the I-40