Sunrise Peak via Sunrise Trail

Sunrise Peak via Sunrise Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

gorgeous!!!! I'm gonna remember this place for the rest of my life

My brother and I decided to do the East trail that offers more switch backs and has a quicker elevation change. We come from the Pacific Northwest where are trails harder to see due to over growth and can be quite treacherous with the changing weather so being able to hike in Arizona is a pure joy. Great views, minimal traffic yet friendly, distinct trail with Cactus everywhere. Will be back to explore more!

We actually did the Sunrise Trail East which we accessed the trailhead at 136th and Via Linda. It was a great morning hike, got the legs fired up as well as the heart rate, however I would still rate it as moderate. Finished this hike in less than 2 hours, as it was a 4mile out and back trail. Over 1000ft elevation with beautiful views at the top. Completed this trail with my husband and 18 year old daughter and her friend. Would definitely do this trail again.

Great trail with sweeping views of Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, and far southern areas like Gilbert. 1.2 miles to first view, another 0.8 miles to the actual Sunrise Peak. Good parking lot at Via Linda and 145th.

Great hike! Gorgeous

Super pretty views I recommend at sunrise for sure!

Started at the Sunrise Peak trailhead and went over the mountain to the Lost Dog trailhead, a total of 10.6 miles per fitbit. Very easy to follow. It ends at the Sonoran Preserve, which is lovely because there are real bathrooms (: this is my favorite hike in the Phoenix area! Gorgeous views and a moderate hike. Good training for canyon hikes.

The McDowells are becoming one of my favorite places to hike. I started at the Sunrise trailhead at Via Linda and 145th Way. It was almost 4 miles up and back. Beautiful trail and views from the top. I could see Fountain Hills, Four Peaks, Red Mountain, and the Superstitions. Well-maintained trails and not too crowded. I want to come back and hike Thompson Peak and Tom's Thumb next time!

This hike is definitely a brisk walk! The view at the top is amazing and well worth your time! The incline is very gradual but elevation quite high. Little scramble if you take the fast way to the peak. Trail wasn't too busy there are many different access trails and side trails in this area. Would definitely do it again!

Uneventful. Easy 2 hour plus RT from 28th St. Nice brisk walk.

love this trail, have so many options. from lost dog trailhead can hike to the hitching post in the saddle or go all the way to the top. can also keep on the trail and go down the other side to the sunrise trailhead at the end of via linda. will need a ride back to list dog or hike it back

the sunrise trailhead is in a canyon, shorter and steeper. pretty trail

so weekdays like the shorter hike at sunrise trail head, same elevation gain and weekends the lost dog trailhead, more time to hike

for shorter elevation gain try lost dog trail if just starting hiking

This trail should be rated "moderate" because it's a pretty good climb. The 360-degree views are outrageously beautiful from the top.

Another great 1/2 day or Grand Canyon training hike with lots of elevation change. I like to start at 128th Street and go over to 145th, but either way is fine. The east side is much prettier in my opinion with deep canyons and lots of saguaros. I also just tried the Andrews-Kinsey trail this week which heads NE from the saddle and liked that as well for an 8.4 from the east TH out and back.

Great day hike! We did 124th st access to the summit and back in a few hours. Bring plenty of water and a snack.