Starr Pass Trail

Starr Pass Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and road biking and is best used from March until October.

rails trails

A network of trails on the east side of Tucson Mountain Park with trailheads at the end of Clearwell Rd., the end of 36th Street, and near the JW Marriott Resort, among others. Trail network can also be linked to Tucson Mountain Park West.

Wayde and I did this on a Sunday afternoon. Beautiful hike and Wayde wants to try his mountain bike here. It's a little too technical for me, though!

very much enjoyed the scenery but finding our way was a challenge...trail is not marked.
the trail is rocky but I expected that so wearing good footwear is a MUST.

Great trail. Caught it right at sunrise. Nice views.

Easy trail, however I didn't finish the entire hike. Trail is designed more for "everyday use", inner city kind-of trail rather than for scenery or for challenge. It is very rocky. I can't imagine hiking this trail in Nike free runs or anything like that, so wear appropriate hiking boots. There are lots of forks along the way, so remember your tracks. And NO dogs allowed on trail!

note to self: what "moderately difficult" means in Houston Texas don't mean the same thing as in the mountains outside of Tucson... least as far as trail ratings go. I enjoyed this trail but it is rocky as hell and my mid-grade specialized bike had a lot of difficulty making it up the hills. I give it 4 stars but be prepared.

Addition to my review from 5 days ago: added a track dated 8/22/2014. Turns out it's more like 3.1 miles. The last leg passes below the Tucson city reservoir, and there is amazing vegetation there from the trickling water.

Very nice, scenic trail close to the Starr Pass neighborhood and 10 minutes from downlown Tucson. We made a shorter 2.5 mile loop by taking the Starr Pass trailhead off Clearwell road down .4 mile to the Rock Wren trail. One mile down this trail, it connects with the Yetman trail both left and right. But a sharp right takes you on an unnamed trail back to the trailhead parking lot.

It was a really long time ago that I hiked it. but I remember it being a nice hike, watched the sunset at the top.