South Rim Visitor Center Trail

South Rim Visitor Center Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Trail connects the visitor center to a restaurant on toward the end. The trail is paved and lined with markers to show you how far you've traveled both in feet and years (an earth-time line if you will). Also has types of rocks formed around the time marked on the trail. Very fun for kids and educational too.

Really a beautiful experience.

Extraordinary trail and views.

Views of Grand Canyon are outstanding.

Excellent views of the canyon. Being able to bring my dog made it extra great. Be sure to have them on a good harness. There is a lot of wildlife out and about.

This was beautiful!

Most amazing thing I have ever seen!

I hiked from Bright Angel Lodge to Hermit's Reat, approximately 8 miles in length with some of the most spectacular views of the canyon. Most segments of the trail are paved but those few segments that are now take you very close to the rim. If you don't have the time to go down into the canyon, I recommend this trail. You can take the shuttle back to your starting point.

I took my parents here, who are in their fifties and find it challenging to walk for long times. We all sincerely enjoyed the route and walked all the way to the last stop on the trail. There was a bathroom stop midway through and a bus route along the rim, which provided us the option of going back at any point if my parents got tired. Gorgeous, obviously. Packed with people. We stayed at the top of the canyon.

Everyone needs to do at least this once in their lifetime, as easy as you want to make it, walk for as far as your legs can take, worst thing is finding a place to park

This was an easy walking trail my 6 yr old completed as well my parents with lung concerns. It was nice to be able to explore in a truly family friendly way while taking in the amazing vistas.

The Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places! Viewing the Grand Canyon from the rim is stunning, but there are not enough words to describe how much more magnificent the canyon is as experienced from the bottom! The rim trail is paved and easy for people of all skill levels!

The canyon is so different experienced in the canyon compared to the rim! Any hikers deciding to hike into the canyon should use common sense and be adequately prepared and remember what you hike down, you will have to hike back up (and the hike out will take a little longer than the hike in).

The Grand Canyon is amazing. This particular little stroll is OK to get a glimpse of this marvel but to really experience the canyon you need to get below the rim.

Must see, can't wait to go back. Paved, safe access for all!

This was truly a Grand view!! We were fortunate enough to catch the sunset when we went, and it was a view out of this world! Everyone needs to experience the Grand Canyon at least once in their lives!

Easy trail, lots of information, no steep inclines, and paved. You get more dehydrated than what you realize, as the air is dry and gives you an illusion you're okay. Even though this area is well developed, I will advise you think of the significance of where you are and what you are looking at. For most of us first timers to the Canyon, coming to this trail - this is really our first view of the Canyon itself. I'll always remember first coming to it, staring out over its vastness, and thinking of those who've come and stood here before me, and those who'd come long after I am gone. My grandfather had been here as a child. This is one of the few touristy spots I've been to where people would look, and actually just shut up and absorb what they were looking at. Rare Condors were seen flying around. The lethal rock squirrels here are no strangers to people. To many Native American tribes, such as the Hualapai, the Navajo, the Canyon wasn't really visited unless there was a specific reason; it was/is a very spiritual place where the spirits of the dead rested. It had a different atmosphere and meaning than just a pretty geological area. It's almost a shame to see the rim of the Canyon SO developed, to an easily accessible park & grab tourist spot. It used to be that one would spend days, weeks hiking out to this view, to earn it, a spiritual experience reserved only for the few who could do it, likely on horseback across great distances with great risk. I thought of all the conflicting views and beliefs of the Canyon, and how I myself was a trespasser.

If you get the opportunity, look at the night sky over the Canyon here. It's unpolluted with the light that perhaps contaminates your own views at home. I lied with my girlfriend (now wife) on the ground (aware of scorpions) and counted the meteors streaking over the Milky Way, and remember the quality of the air there, and the smells. It remains one of my fondest memories.

I hope when you get here, you really stop and take it in, and think about time. I hope it means to you what it meant to me.

easy walking trail that is well maintained. get there before 8 am and there is hardly anyone on the trail. we walked from the visitor center to the south k trailhead.

Might be an easy trail but it's one of the best ways to experience the Canyon. The view is breathtaking and it's an easy walk the entire way around. Though In winter do mind your step, the trail can be very icy and the edge really is right there.

The trail is paved and very flat. It offers an easy way to relax while taking in some amazing canyon views. If you want an easy trail that lets you take in the grand canyon without going down into it, then this is the trail for you.