South Mountain National Trail

South Mountain National Trail is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The National Trail crosses South Mountain Park from the east to the west ends and intersects with most of the other trails in the park. A very scenic hike with moderate ups and downs along the way. Most of the traffic is on the east half of the trail. From the Pima Canyon trailhead on the east side of the park, take the Pima Wash Trail for about 1.2 miles, and this will meet up with the start of the National Trail. The National Trail skirts the ridges of the park, passing Hidden Valley, Buena Vista Lookout, Chinese Wall, Telegraph Pass, Goat Hill, and finally descends on the west end of the park, ending at San Juan Lookout. There are abandoned mines, petroglyphs, and initeresting rock formations along the way. The views of the Phoenix valley are spectacular.

I did 6 miles this morning. I came from California. I just moved here like a week ago. This trail was awesome and beautiful sightseeing. I can't wait to try the long miles next time.

Amazing trail

The cactus were in bloom in March.

this map isn't true. the full trail is over 15 miles and starts at 35 ave. great hike. there is no water available any where along the trail.

Beautiful!

This trail is awesome. Lots of great views of he desert and urban areas around Phoenix. Plenty of wildlife as well. Just be prepared to step aside for a lot of mountain bikers.

I really like the trail's location and the scenery. I'm only giving it 4 stars because with a puppy and a 4 year old child in tow, it's hard to navigate this trail with all of the bikers coming up and down. They do it so quietly and they are moving pretty fast and it's kind of hard to keep the kid and dog on the right side of the trail so as not to block the path for the bikers.

I would give this trail 5 stars if I was able to hike it alone or with other adults; no kids and no dogs.

Also, with the dog, there is a lot of broken glass on this trail. I have shoes for my dog but it's still disheartening. My kiddo loves the ruins of the buildings that are up there and the view of the valley is awesome!

My least favorite hike so far. Will have to find a different trail and hope for something better.

Great trail. Runs along the entire ridgeline of the park. I hiked it from the top of Kiwanis to the top of Holbert. Some very nice scenery and views. Bring lots of water.

I like Holbert-National-Ranger, or maybe Kiwanis. That's a good, reasonably challenging, loop totaling around 7 miles. My first time on Holbert-National-Ranger I nearly died when I ran out of water! That was late June and it was blistering hot. I began and ended on 15th Ave. south of Dobbins. Bad planning on my part. Anyway, that's a great hike, sweeping directly under the radio towers at the top of the mountain. Lots to see and photograph. I will definitely go again.

Went on the trail off of central st, parking was limited but free. Took my two year old and small dog and wife. As we approached higher on the trail, there were a lot of bees swarming which caused us to turn back, so went only for like an hour, but breeze was nice on top of mountain, had to carry my son on my back most the time.

Probably my favorite trail in the Valley! Lots of technical areas and rock gardens strewn across this 15mi beauty. Not for the beginner biker however.

stars lol

Just did this for Andy's Climb with a bunch of Texas Roadhouse employees. Good trails with passable room on most spots. good for letting bikers pass

A very scenic trail that crosses the park. I took the west half of the trail from Telegraph Pass to San Juan Lookout. The views of the Phoenix area are awesome. The trail has nice ups and downs as it crosses the ridges and finally descends down to the valley floor. There are some sections that are very steep. Very light traffic. Most of the hikers and mountain bikers use the east half of the trail.