South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point

South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses. Horses are also able to use this trail.

It was beautiful today. Recommend having crampons. It was muddy at pony, dry at others, and icy mostly only at the top. Temperature was perfect. Very few people on the trail.

Going down is not so bad haha. I took the family out on this trail 9-17-16, with the goal of reaching Skeleton Point and then turning back. It was a fairly hot day. I've been on a lot of hikes, but coming from California, I wasn't prepared for how unmerciful the desert treats you. On the way back up, after you take a drink of water, then take 20 steps, you're thirsty again. The dryness and the heat are something to be prepared for. Bring plenty of water and food. My wife and daughter quit 1.5 miles down. But I was determined to reach Skeleton Point, and my young son was not staying behind...he demanded to come along. We left the girls in the shade, with plenty of food and water and made the extra 3 miles out and back. It was worth it. The views of the canyon all around are astonishing. We sat on the edge of a cliff at Skeleton Point and could see the Colorado River. Coming back up is extremely challenging. I am more experienced, but bringing the wife and kids, who aren't, required frequent stops and water breaks. Still an amazing time. Would love to go back some day, with the guys, and go all the way down to the very bottom, camp out and then head back up. It would be torture, but it would be an incredible accomplishment.

My sister and I took South Kaibab Trail down to Skeleton Point in December as our first hike in the Grand Canyon. The first two miles going down was tough with the ice but after that the trail cleared up nicely except for some muddy patches. They aren't kidding when they say the further down you go the warmer it gets, and also the more difficult going back up is! We hiked down in around 2 hours, but it took us over 3.5 to get back up and my knees where definitely feeling the burn.

See more of hiking/travel adventures on Instagram @schaefer.cara :)

Got lucky that weather conditions were bad for most people. Surprisingly good trail given the weather and park warnings. Few days after 18 inch snow the trail was hard packed from foot traffic, crampons helpful, they were still digging out trail for mules so only people. Temperature reached about 22 F on top, at Skeleton Point snow had melted and trail turning to mud but easily walkable. Very few people on lower trail; really perfect time for hiking the canyon.

Great trail, fair amount of traffic, not bad for Chistmas at the Grand Canyon. If there has been a snow storm recently you will want crampons or micro spikes. The ascent out doesn't seem like much (2200ft) but it is a hard 2200ft.