South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge

South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, AZ that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

The South Kaibab Trail begins south of Yaki Point on Yaki Point Road. Day hike to the mule hitching post at Cedar Ridge is 3 miles (round trip). Best views for a relatively short hike. Steep trail, no water, little shade. Water available seasonally at the trailhead. Upper portion of the trail may be extremely icy in winter or early spring and in summer months watch out for thunderstorms. This is the only trail at Grand Canyon National Park that holds true to a ridgeline descent. This trail is also the quickest way to the bottom. The trail begins with a series of tight switchbacks. After these initial switchbacks, the trail traverses below Yaki Point to Ooh Ah Point (the first panoramic view of the canyon). From Ooh Ah Point on, the trail follows the top of a ridgeline and is consequently without shade. Several broad and steeply plunging switchbacks later, hikers reach Cedar Ridge. The South Kaibab Trail was constructed to bypass Ralph Cameron's Bright Angel Trail. Cameron, who owned the Bright Angel Trail and charged a toll to those using it, fought dozens of legal battles over several decades to maintain his personal business rights. These legal battles inspired the Santa Fe Railroad to build its own alternative trail, the Hermit Trail, beginning in 1911 before the National Park Service went on to build the South Kaibab Trail beginning in 1924. In this way, Cameron inadvertently contributed to the greater network of trails currently available for use by canyon visitors. Mileages Rim (7260 ft / 2213 m) to Cedar Ridge (6120 ft / 1865 m): 1.5 mi. Cedar Ridge (6120 ft / 1865 m) to Skeleton Point (5220 ft / 1591 m): 1.5 mi. Skeleton Point (5220 ft / 1591 m) to the Tipoff (4000 ft / 1219 m): 1.4 mi. Tipoff (4000 ft / 1219 m) to Bright Angel Campground (2480 ft / 756 m): 2.6 mi. Rim (7260 ft / 2213 m) to Bright Angel Campground (2480 ft / 756 m): 7.0 mi.

we hiked this trail in October. amazing experience. I would recommend layering your clothes because the weather changes drastically during the day.

Must do!!

Awesome hike with spectacular views. Make sure you get all the way down to cedar ridge. Views are really breathtaking. It is a tough uphill climb back. It it's doable if you are in decent shape. I am 59 years old and did it with relatively little difficulty

Hiked down in September 2009...whew! Inredible views..saw three severe dehydration scenes..one near death by skeleton point....bring more water than you need..lots of snacks!

Make sure you go early because after 9am the trail starts to get a little busy people then you would like when hiking off a high drop. This hike contains heavy wind gusts after the first .5 mile until the end of the trail. Be careful. It's not a hike for people that fear heights because there are no rails to hang on to.

Went in the afternoon in October. Great hike!

Fantastic hike into the Canyon. Wide open vistas, switchbacks galore, not too hairy for the faint of heart. Easy to get sucked into the canyon as it will beckon you deeper and deeper into its depths. Don't be taken in too deeply! We hiked to the switchbacks below Skeleton Point (3.8 miles down), and a couple of others in our party made it just past Tipoff, but they suffered from electrolyte depletion and muscle cramps on the ascent. We brought 3 liters of water to be safe, and plenty of snacks. Beware the squirrels at Cedar Ridge!

What can you say? Down on the S Kab, stayed at the P Ranch for 2 nights. Ascent on the B Angel.

Top 5 hikes all time.

As soon as you descend into the canyon on this trail the spectacular views just take your breath away. The hike was great on the way down. I didn't expect all the mule stool on the trail itself but you get used to it after a little while! The trail isn't too wide so you can't exactly walk next to your companion but there's enough room for people to go up while others go down and vice versa. You will have to move aside for the mules though! When we got to cedar ridge point it was just inspiring. I brought my journal to do a little writing. The weather was absolutely perfect as well; I went in mid-April. There were restrooms at this spot as well so you could take advantage of that. We were able to see skeleton point from cedar ridge and we felt like we could hike a couple miles into the canyon to reach this point but I wanted to watch the sunset at Mojave point so we had to get a move on back to the shuttle. Boy, I quickly realized on the way back up the trail that it was a really good thing we didn't go to skeleton point on a whim because the hike up was strenuous. There were definitely points where I had to stop to breathe. I would do this trail again in a heartbeat now that I'm in better hiking shape!

Absolutely spectacular views. We hiked a few different trails and this was definitely everyone in my group's favorite.

Beautiful views and pretty well kept trail. It's tough on the way up. Wear tennis shoes and bring LOTS of water

Great going down in the morning, a killer coming up at mid-day. Take twice as much water as you think you'll need, Wear a big hat, if its turns out to be too hard, just keep going up one step at a time

Amazing hike that will forever be a topic in conversation with family and friends. It was perfect conditions hiking down to Ceder Ridge. We had a bit of rain and a light dusting of snow but all in all the view was spectacular. Oh by the way I proposed to my girlfriend in the canyon and went to Las Vegas that night for our wedding. She never knew what was going to happen so it will be a unforgettable hike.

Hike beyond to the switchbacks to see/hear the Colorado River. Add another 2 mi each way.

Went mid-day with our 9 year old to Ooh Aah point. Fun hike, was a little tough for the kids since we're from sea level.

Hit hard in the heat!! Gorgeous views.

Great views, a little scary cedar ridge had amazing views.

Very beautiful of course. Went down to skeleton point and back up in 4 hours. We are in good shape but are not avid hikers and felt like we could have gone way further. So if you are like us, try for Tipoff or Bright angel! We went at around 7am in mid May and it never got too hot. I would definitely suggest going as early in the morning as possible to avoid the massive amounts of people that will show up later in the day and to avoid the heat.