South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail

South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

16.6 miles 5255 feet Point to Point

It's the Grand Canyon just breath taking

One of the greatest hikes in the US. Descent the Kaibab and then back up on the Bright Angel. No water on the Kaibab.

Webt only about 1hr down, great views. Far less crowded than Rim Trail. very much worth it.

Hiked from South Kaibab down past Tip Point and back up. Tough climb, but beautiful! A hike I will not forget

Such an amazing experience! I loved having two different views of the Grand Canyon. We took this hike in mid-January, going from S Kaibab to Bright Angel, and I would strongly recommend traction footwear. The top of the rim had a couple feet of snow and was very cold, but once we got a little further, the snow melted away and we were comfortable in just a sweatshirt!

The two suspension bridges were beautiful and it was great to see the history down at Phantom Ranch. Would love to do this hike again.

Bring plenty of water if traveling in the winter because the mid to top rest stops do not offer drinking water due to weather conditions.

Beauitful day hike with my brother down the less traveled South Kaibab. The descent from each layer to the next is breathtaking, with anticipation of when the Colorado River will pop into view. We saw more mules than people ^_^. Across the suspension bridges along the CO river then back up Bright Angel Trail; where again, seeing those magnificent layers go by just kept me going. Next time Rim to Rim when we have time for the long shuttle.
Started right before 0800 on Election Day. Took just under 7.5 hrs with a number of short picture stops, couple bathroom breaks at the conveniently placed compost toilets and a 5 minute snack break.
Overall, I would not call this trail hard - but I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to drastic elevation changes over shorter distances. Traveling just under 17mi from point to point, the 2 main trails make for a rather gradual descent and ascent with the perfect grade to feel pumped but not worn out. It is a long slog but a very well maintained set of trails. That is to say, do heed the warning signs and do NOT try this in one day if you are not in physical shape and have adequate water. The weather was mid 60s which made this an ideal Fall hike but I still consumed 3.5 liters of water (and could have used more). In the summer it would have most likely been a bit torturous. There are no water spots along South Kaibab till you get across the CO river. Bright Angel has 3 water breaks evenly spaced about 1.5 miles from each other.

I could not have done this as a loop. Staying at Phantom Ranch for 3 nights was ideal. Two nights would have worked too if I had not also hiked another 12 mile out and back to Ribbon falls the day after coming down south kaibab. A hike of a life time. Hiking back out on Bright Angel trail was perfect.

I am not an experienced hiker. I've only done a couple of 5-6 miles and under 1000ft hikes. This hike is very strenuous to me. I started early around 8am and finished around 5:30pm(should have started 1 hour earlier, sunrise is 6:45am, trailhead is close to Yapi point for good sunrise). The descent down to the river is easy and very very rewarding with breathtaking views which are not same as the ones you see from the rim. I took hundreds of photos. After I reached the river, I crossed a black bridge and then went to phantom ranch for iced lemonade and lunch(I packed mine but you can reserve a meal there). The camping ground is located there too. The ascent via bright angel is the part I felt my legs are going to explode. I suggest making many small breaks to catch your breath and rest those legs. Do some stretch from time to time. The view features the creek and is different from south kaibab.

Perfect weather in October for this awesome hike.