Slate Mountain Trail

Slate Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, AZ and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until November.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 35 miles north on US 180 to FR 191. Turn west 2 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road. US 180 is paved. FR 191 is graveled and suitable for passenger cars in most weather.

Beautiful hike with great views!

Pretty sweet little trail! Great views of the surrounding area, including a couple mountains and some halfway deforested forest. The peak itself was pretty anti-climactic, I busted out my GPS to confirm I had made it. "This is it....?" were my exact words. But don't let that discourage you, the way up is gorgeous! Couple of okay photo-ops if you're into that sort of thing. Wasn't too hard for my lazy pup either. I'd do it again.

We loved it fun family hike hard for me not hard for my family! Great way to spend time together on Fathers Day weekend!

Amazing. You have gorgeous views surrounding you the entire hike and the plates describing various plants in the area is a definite plus (perfect time to take a break and learn).

Lovely flowers, lovely view.

Slate Mountain Trail is located 30 miles north of Flagstaff on US 180, then onto FR 191 for another 2 miles to the trailhead. The hike is easy, the trail is in great shape, the delta to the top is 850'. With unobstructed views of the San Francisco Peaks, Kendrick Mountain, the Painted Desert and everything North to the Grand Canyon which is plainly visible near the horizon. My son Ron and I made this hike while in Flagstaff visiting my son Bob. Nice easy, scenic hike.

This is a sweet hike. Sweet, as in a very pleasant, moderate walk, with wonderful views and well-groomed trail. And nice little interpretive signs all along the way, identifying various plants--something we've yet to see on any other trail in the Flagstaff area.

I maintained a steady pace from trailhead to summit and covered the two and a half miles to the top in less than an hour. There, I parked myself on a convenient log and enjoyed the scenery, including Kendrick Mountain, the San Francisco peaks and Grand Canyon's North Rim.

I don't have a lot to say about the hike up Slate Mountain, except that it was so enjoyable. A good bit of exercise on a beautiful day. This is the perfect kind of hike to include in one's vacation plans, because it's not overly strenuous if you're in decent shape, and it will reward you with a terrific overview of northern Arizona. There's a nice open area at the top, just right for a picnic lunch. Later, when you return to your vehicle, and if you feel like doing some more walking, Red Mountain is just up the road.