Siphon Draw Trail

Siphon Draw Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Contact the Park: (480) 982-4485 Lost Dutchman SP 6109 N. Apache Trail Apache Junction, AZ 85219

4 minutes ago

Tough hike, lots of scrambling, but loved every minute.

Great view of the Superstition Mountains. The basin glimmered in the light because it was wet from the rain. The moss-like vegetation also made the mountain appear to be glowing! It's a harder hike, mostly because of the climbing (the beginning of the trail is actually quite easy) and the rocks at the basin are pretty slippery. I wish I brought better shoes, but even then, I think it would have been a challenging hike.

A hike with the most beautiful views. We didn't make it quite to Flatiron, but we made it past the basin. Make sure your conditioned for a hike like this.

Approximate time:
~ 90-120 minutes each way.

Word of advice:
The hike is difficult past the basin. I have climbed past the basin area but have not hiked all the way to Flatiron. You should be wearing proper hiking shoes and gloves are recommended.

About the trail:
the trail is located in the Lost Dutchman State Park. If you are going to Flatiron, this is the trail you take.

My experience:
I have been to till trail about six times. I have only made it till a little past the basin area. It is not an easy trail for me. Quite a few people turnaround from the basin area because it becomes extremely difficult to hike beyond that point as you're literally hiking the granite slopes. One mistake can see you go tumbling down and there's nothing to hold. Extra care must be taken once you start hiking from the basin area. The reason I keep going back to this trail is that the hike itself is beautiful. It takes a good ~90 minutes or so to get to the basin area and you get to see the beautiful rock formations along the way. Do stop from time-to-time to look around and enjoy the scenery. Once you enter the basin area, you wouldn't believe your eyes. This sight alone is worth going back to. This whole area literally gets covered with millions of yellow flowers in spring so do not miss that opportunity if you are local. I will post a couple of pictures from the spring of 2016 so you get to see what I am talking about.

The best hike I've encountered in Maricopa County. The view and feeling of accomplishment once you complete the trek make this challenging trail worth it.

Hiked Siphon Draw to Flatiron Summit yesterday. Definitely challenging and easy to go off trail (however you'll find the trail eventually). Look for white and blue dots along the way that mark the trail, look carefully because some of them are pretty faded. Lots of boulders and some straight up rock climbing, but so worth it once you see the views from Flatiron. Definitely doing this hike again, one of my favorites in Phoenix so far! I

Amazing hike! Difficult but well worth it. We took our (medium-sized) dog and he did fine. He's in good shape and can leap from boulder to boulder. The only main obstacle for him was the 10 ft rock wall right before the top - where humans have to rock climb. Luckily a kind hiker offered to help us hoist him up! If you are wondering about taking your dog, like we were, make sure you can lift him and that he's pretty agile for big rocks and steep faces! Incredible hike, will be hard to ever top!

Not for beginners who aren't prepared to scramble and pay attention to the sometimes hard to spot blue/white dots marking the path (staying left is a good general rule b/c a lot go right w/o knowing).
Beginners who want to tackle this should plan for 6 hours minimum, at least 2 liters of H2O, enough snacks to constitute lunch/lunch.
Experienced hikers, scramble-lovers should plan on 4+ hours, because you'll want to explore the hoodoos at the top, walk down and over to Flat Iron (you're already up there!) and see more of the Superstitions on the other side of Flat Iron.

Great views.

This is definitely not a beginner's hike, but as long as you go prepared, there is no reason to fear it. I am a frequent hiker and I found it "pleasantly challenging"- just enough scrambles to make it interesting and enough uphill to make you think you're going to die. We left before dawn and on our way back down the crowds were starting to pile in, so I recommend an early start. The view on the top was breathtaking, with a very cold wind. The way down can be hard on the joints of you're not careful. Overall, it was a hard hike, but extremely satisfying.

The hike was challenging but words cannot describe the raw beauty of this place.