Siphon Draw Trail

Siphon Draw Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Contact the Park: (480) 982-4485 Lost Dutchman SP 6109 N. Apache Trail Apache Junction, AZ 85219

This hike is a 5 star ass kicking but the beauty you experience makes it all worth it.

Beautiful and difficult hike. Well worth it even just to get to the basin. Would definitely recommend! Start early in the hot weather mos.

One most difficult and beautiful hikes around Phoenix. A must hike for me at least 2x a year. Try going right after the monsoon season for amazing flowers!

awesome hike today! Definitely will be going back!

I did the Siphon Draw hike to Flatiron on July 9. The gate opened just after sunrise and parking cost 7.00 if you want to park at the official trail head. A group of hikers I met at the top started out before sunrise - they parked at the Mining Restaurant which seems just as close to the main trail as the paid parking lot.

The Siphon Draw trail seems like a more rugged, more scenic and longer hike than Echo Canyon trail at Camelback. Views at the top are incredible - hiking back another 1/4 mile at the top gives you even more rock formations and canyons to observe.

Trail was marked fairly well. I was lucky enough to meet a guy on the trail who'd done the hike a few times and it helped a lot as I didn't expect to climb a couple of smaller walls in order to stay on the trail. We made it up in 1:20. I doubt I could do that time without someone pushing me again, so I'd guess 1 45 to 2 hrs is more realistic. Coming down was more difficult and a bit longer as I got off the trail a couple of times due to not paying close enough attention. I'd say it took close to 1 45 or longer to come down. Couples were starting the hike up at 10 30 as I was finishing up, so I'd say it is doable in the late morning/early afternoon as long as you have adequate water. (It got a lot cooler at the top.) Overall - 5 star hike!!! if you want a good workout and some adventure.

Extremely challenging . Loved it great hike .

A must do! awesome hike have done twice, last being in february, be careful dont rush

This is the only hike I've ever done in the Valley that makes it hard for me to move for the next couple of days. It starts with a gradual elevation change, and after about a mile it's almost completely uphill for the rest of the way. There are many parts where you have to climb using all fours to progress. Those parts are towards the end, within a mile from the top. The summit offers amazing views of the Valley, from Camelback straight ahead to a clear shot of Thompson's Peak and the rest of the McDowell Mtns on your right. It's a nice activity to eat lunch at the top. Make sure to bring enough water, and only go in the fall and spring times, otherwise it's too hot or too slippery from snow and ice.

Overall, this hike kicked my butt! It started to incline soon after we started. The incline gradually grew and was definitely a "hard" one. There was shade, beautiful views and I constant increased heart rate which is what I wanted. We didn't make it to the top because we were concerned about the hornet infestation a fellow hiker warned us about. It was about 15-20mins from the basin when they (a few) started to hound us. We quickly turned around. The trail is well maintained and easily navigated. I would recommend it.

On another note, we had very bad experience with the ranger. I accidentally drove through the stop sign and boy was he unforgiving and bloody awful. So, be sure to watch out for those stop signs or else you'll get an ear full from a unhappy ranger!

Enjoy, fellow adventurers!

sooooooo beautiful. No one was around because it is June and very very hot but I went around 6pm and it was actually the perfect temperature. I made it up and back before the sun went all the way down, while still being able to take a ton of pictures at the water shoot part.

the hike to the top was difficult. this is not a hike for young children or inexperienced hikers especially in arizona. I'm a local who has decent hiking experience but even I can say this was rough. if you make it to the top, it is beyond rewarding. have fun fellow hikers!

Hiking shoes definitely a MUST! Very slippery on the way down. Took me 5 hours and a half and half a gallon of water.

Lots of climbing with amazing views!!

Good hike. Bring lots of water and plan on 5 hours to go the whole way to flat iron.

Each time it gets easier. A good mark if you want to measure your progress

awesome hike, beautiful scenery all the way.

Awesome!