Shadow Mountain Trail

Shadow Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This particular route trailhead starts at 23rd place and Sweetwater rd it's a great wildlife trail.

I hiked a few months ago, in the winter, I am just now getting around to reviewing it. I grew up near here, but this is my first time hiking here. I always favored nearby Lookout mountain. Anyway, I parked in the neighborhood at 25th.pl. and Acoma, great little trailhead with room for a few cars. You can either go around the mountain or up the mountain. I chose to go up. Near the top it gets very steep with some scrambling, be careful. The views at the top are awesome and crowds are non-existent. This is a great hike for solitude in the city.

Went to Shadow Mountain today. I had never been there before, even though it is close to where I live. I found streetside parking only, and did not find a lot for the park. At first glance, it looks very uninteresting. I started out just walking across the desert, passing by the Phoenix Mountains Preserve sign. I was heading uphill, but there was no difficulty to it at all. I came to a "peak," and decided to go to the top. It was not all that high, but was the closest summit to where I started. The trail leading to the top ascends along a not quite vertical slab of rock. It was a little bit intimidating, and looking up I wasn't completely sure I could make it, let alone come back down. Up I went anyway, utilizing hand holds and a little bit of climbing. I would call it something between a scramble and a true rock climb. I made it to the top, though, and when I did, I found more of the same. The top is a jumble of rock. Close by is a sheer rock face and one could surely make a wrong step and head right off the face. Hoping to find an easier way down, I went to the far side of the top and found more rock. It wasn't as hard as the start, and I did make it down, and eventually found a trailway all the way down. All in all, what started out uninteresting turned very interesting in the end. My trail was hard, and lots of fun. There is more to the park that I did not see. I will be going back.

It is a nice and fun trail. You will definitely need you phone gps trail map for this one. There are no trail markings and multiple paths in different directions, which adds to the adventure,

Good

Good hike, trails not well marked but that's what made it an adventure

Great trail, lots of different options depending on ability.

Super short hike, less than a mile, and there really isn't a defined trail from where we began. Beautiful view! Went at sunset and it was phenomenal. Definitely recommended. It would be easy for kids or dogs to climb up too.

I started at the trailhead at 25th Pl and Acoma. There is some street parking there. As a previous reviewer mentions, wear proper shoes. Easy trail, moderate towards the summit when it is necessary to scramble. I saw a few hikers, but only crossed paths with one. My pup loved the trail!

I like this one, short and sweet. Maybe a couple of miles if you walk around. A little hard to find a place to park so you can enter the area tho. Thanks Phoenix. There are some trails that go around the bottom that I would classify as easy, good for trail running or hiking. If you want to go up it gets a little more towards moderate and difficult when you get to the peak, but the wrap around view is awesome! and not a soul in sight when I went.

This is the better address to use: 2481–2521 E Acoma Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85032
United States
Id rate this between easy and moderate if you hike to the top. Short trail but you can zig zag or go around the mountain if you're looking for mileage.

Shadow Mountain is criss-crossed with a series of interconnected trails, so don't get caught up on following the "right" trail to the summit. There are multiple routes with varying levels of difficulty. Some wind their way toward the top and others offer a more or less straight (and very steep) shot. The trails are filled with loose rock, so wear proper shoes. There is no designated parking and multiple points of entry to the preserve, so park anywhere around the perimeter where you can see a trail, and start your ascent.