Safford Peak Trail

Safford Peak Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from September until May.

Rugged Trek Up a Fun Peak This is a fun summit hike that begins at a little known spiritual nook, and climaxes with stunning 360 Degree views of Tucson's northwest basin. The trail begins at the stone church just west of the parking lot. From there, hike North of west until you pass through a wildlife barrirer. From there, the trail begins to accend the peak to your left. The trail forks often, but the key to bagging this summit is to always fork left unless it looks harder to the right.

Overall a great trail!

Good workout. Loose footing increases the difficulty, and it's easy to go off trail.

rock climbing

We got off-trail several times on our way to the top but somehow always managed to find out way back on. The hiking app mostly kept us on the trail until we got close to the top, then we were able to follow the cairns the rest of the way. If you are into self-punishment this hike is for you. Gloves wouldn't hurt, either, as there are loose rocks in many, many places. We also encountered bees at the top so watch yourself!! The views, however, are really nice so bring your camera.

hard to follow sometimes. I think it was harder going down then going up. wear gloves.

Awesome hike

Difficult to follow at times, but the views were worth the trouble. I was a little disappointed that the trail did not take you to the peak.

Those of you who say this trail is easy must be American Ninja Warriors. Though it didn't kill me and my 17 year old son, we had a tremendous sense of accomplishment by the time the hike was over. We considered turning around at least 3 different times, but each time chose to press on. Thank you to whoever set up the cairns. They were a tremendous guide for us to make it to the summit. Our primary difficulty was about a dozen hornets at the top. Never found the book to sign because we were surrounded by small poisonous aircraft. Decided to punt to the front eastern peak rather than the highest more western peak. Nonetheless, the view was insanely beautiful. Would totally do this hike again. I strongly recommend at least some sort of hiking boot, or even better, an off road running shoe. I bought some the night before and felt like a mountain goat up there. My son, on the other hand, struggled a bit with his cross-trainers. Just not enough studs for all of the rock dust and jaggedness. Also, as recommended by others, do not do this climb w/o at least 3, 20 oz. bottles of water. We climbed at about 65-70 degrees. That would not have been enough water in hotter temps. Also, have your 17 yr. old son carry the backpack. :)

We really enjoyed the hike. We're just starting out and this peak is in our backyard. It's not easy and if not for the cairns we would have been lost. Getting to the top was exciting (I'm by far a small person) and gave me a great sense of accomplishment. I'm looking to see what else is nearby so we can keep the momentum up.

It's a great hike. Not for a beginner. We didn't have a map or anyone with us who knew the trail towards the top of the peak so it was a guessing game on whether we were even on the correct trail.

The view from the top is breathtaking and you will know you have made it to the top when you find the log book to sign your name and take a deep breath before your descent.

As you head down be careful of all of loose rocks. The trail isn't marked and had a difficult time remembering which way we came up, so it took longer to go down then up.