Safford Peak Trail

Safford Peak Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from September until May.

Rugged Trek Up a Fun Peak This is a fun summit hike that begins at a little known spiritual nook, and climaxes with stunning 360 Degree views of Tucson's northwest basin. The trail begins at the stone church just west of the parking lot. From there, hike North of west until you pass through a wildlife barrirer. From there, the trail begins to accend the peak to your left. The trail forks often, but the key to bagging this summit is to always fork left unless it looks harder to the right.

Overall a great trail!

Good workout. Loose footing increases the difficulty, and it's easy to go off trail.

rock climbing

We got off-trail several times on our way to the top but somehow always managed to find out way back on. The hiking app mostly kept us on the trail until we got close to the top, then we were able to follow the cairns the rest of the way. If you are into self-punishment this hike is for you. Gloves wouldn't hurt, either, as there are loose rocks in many, many places. We also encountered bees at the top so watch yourself!! The views, however, are really nice so bring your camera.

hard to follow sometimes. I think it was harder going down then going up. wear gloves.

Awesome hike

Difficult to follow at times, but the views were worth the trouble. I was a little disappointed that the trail did not take you to the peak.

Those of you who say this trail is easy must be American Ninja Warriors. Though it didn't kill me and my 17 year old son, we had a tremendous sense of accomplishment by the time the hike was over. We considered turning around at least 3 different times, but each time chose to press on. Thank you to whoever set up the cairns. They were a tremendous guide for us to make it to the summit. Our primary difficulty was about a dozen hornets at the top. Never found the book to sign because we were surrounded by small poisonous aircraft. Decided to punt to the front eastern peak rather than the highest more western peak. Nonetheless, the view was insanely beautiful. Would totally do this hike again. I strongly recommend at least some sort of hiking boot, or even better, an off road running shoe. I bought some the night before and felt like a mountain goat up there. My son, on the other hand, struggled a bit with his cross-trainers. Just not enough studs for all of the rock dust and jaggedness. Also, as recommended by others, do not do this climb w/o at least 3, 20 oz. bottles of water. We climbed at about 65-70 degrees. That would not have been enough water in hotter temps. Also, have your 17 yr. old son carry the backpack. :)

We really enjoyed the hike. We're just starting out and this peak is in our backyard. It's not easy and if not for the cairns we would have been lost. Getting to the top was exciting (I'm by far a small person) and gave me a great sense of accomplishment. I'm looking to see what else is nearby so we can keep the momentum up.

It's a great hike. Not for a beginner. We didn't have a map or anyone with us who knew the trail towards the top of the peak so it was a guessing game on whether we were even on the correct trail.

The view from the top is breathtaking and you will know you have made it to the top when you find the log book to sign your name and take a deep breath before your descent.

As you head down be careful of all of loose rocks. The trail isn't marked and had a difficult time remembering which way we came up, so it took longer to go down then up.

I wouldn't do this hike again. The only reason we even knew where we were going was because of my phone. The view is great but there is too many loose rocks. Going up isn't too bad but coming down is a nightmare.

It's a moderately hard hike, but I would def use your phone to find the trail or you are going to get lost.

Pretty easy! Great hike close to our home!

This peak is commonly called Sombrero. I live near it, so I have climbed it often. Close to a dozen times in the past year. I find it to be a good workout and the views are stupendous.

This is classified as a primitive trail. Meaning it is not maintained by the NPS; it is not found on any topo maps or in any publications; and very little information can be found on the Internet about this trail. If you go, please be careful. There are steep and slippery spots where it is easy to fall. Hike with buddies. Or, be sure to bring a cell phone with you. I was able to pick up a signal on my cell all the way to the summit.

Most importantly, respect this mountain. Stay on established trails and don't create erosion by bush whacking or creating rock slides. It would be sad if this mountain started to look like Squaw Peak in Phoenix: devoid of all vegetation. There is no water on this trail. Bring at least 2 liters if you plan to go to the summit.

You can find the trailhead in the Sanctuary. There is a designated parking area. Basically, you must head due west from the parking area and start climbing to the ridge when you see a trail marked by a decaying saguaro that has fallen to the left of the trail. After that, the trail is fairly well marked with rock cairns but it still very easy to lose the trail. I have tried to mark it with bright fluorescent tape but someone has removed my markings.