Ruth Hamilton Trail

Ruth Hamilton Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! Less crowded alternative in the area!

I came up Ruth Hamilton today from the 8A (Quartz Ridge). I wasn't expecting that. I was first heading out the 8 (L.V. Yates) from Squaw Peak on the way to Tatum Boulevard but I somehow wound on the 8A, and then there was the 8B (Ruth Hamilton). I came back to Squaw Peak on the 8B. It connects to the Freedom Trail (304), which then goes right back to parking on Squaw Peak Drive. Heading up the 8B from the direction I came calls for some climbing, but then there is a comfy park bench at the top. It also involves some tricky footwork. Watch your step or risk a fall. I think Ruth Hamilton is one of the more interesting trails in the park.

On Ruth Hamilton today (the 8B). Just out for a little walk in the park, but I took off up this more than moderate trail. It involves a bit of a climb, with some tricky footing along the way. Definitely watch your step. At the top there is a bench, always welcome, and then another tricky trail descending down the other side. I have been on it before and never seen a soul, but today there was a crowd. All the way to the top, down the other side, then back up and over, it is just about 2 miles, and it is fairly strenuous. This is a decent hike for Squaw Peak.