Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible from September until May.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally.

15 minutes ago

Amazing trail! The weather was cool and breezy, definitely enjoyed climbing the rocky terrain. Great views.

We did this trail yesterday, my first. It was great and the view was awesome. Beautiful view of the waterfalls too. Excellent workout, short and not too tough for someone in their 60's. Love the trail. Must go early or it will be too crowded by 10am on a nice day when the weather is less than 70s.

Nice long challenging hike!

Great hike with lots of different terrain. Trail is pretty rocky and will get your heart pumping but is a lot of fun if you like scrambling around on rocks. The pools are picturesque. But, if you cross to the other side of the creek and pick up the trail beyond the pools, you'll be treated to a few more pools and waterfalls with a lot fewer people.

can be a harsh trail going up. a lot of loose rock but beautiful scenery!

This being our first moderate hike it was a workout! 2 hours up and 2 down. Heavy inclines with rocks and boulders so I would recommend hiking poles if you too are a beginner. However the pools are worth it, seeing we spent 2 hours there taking in the sights and temps!

As a novice hiker, this is accurately labeled as moderate. We went up early morning, so we luckily had the shadow of the mountain shading us the majority of the way up. I had to stop several times on the way up, it got me good, haha. The first pool was maybe about 3 feet deep while the second was above five feet but less than six. It's definitely worth it when you get to the pools. It gets hot quick, though. The walk down was much easier than the way up, but by this time we no longer had the shadow of the mountain to offer us it's shade. To say it was hot is an understatement. Overall, I would definitely recommend and do this hike again.

This trail is marked easy however I would say easy befits those that are looking for a walk on flat ground or even someone that is in shape yet has trouble with an incline for more than one section of a trail; that's easy.
This is not easy, I'd label it moderate. While I enjoyed myself thoroughly, jumping from rock to rock all the way up and through the switchbacks, the hubby was not as exalted. He is in great shape but not hiking shape, endurance mainly in the leg muscle area.
The trail starts on very loose beach like sand for .7 mi, at which point you begin your ascent which for the remaining two miles is largely uphill, over large rocks, and a few switchbacks. Even with the hubby's troubles it was worth it, for him, to get to the falls. DO BE SURE to go left not right when you are at the pools as the right is beautiful it doesn't contain pools with enough water for swimming.
One of the pools was about 4 ft deep while the second, lower one, was about 8 ft, this is Mid May. The hike, the pools are all amazing; definitely one of my new favorites. Downside is it is heavily trafficked and you d annoy have dogs past the .7 mark.

The pools were worth it once you get to jump in and cool off! Plan for rocky hills and lots of sun though. Remember, no dogs allowed on this trail!

great hike

This is my favorite hike in Tucson.

Great hike, maybe not "Easy". Steep elevation change.