Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible from September until May.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally.

can be a harsh trail going up. a lot of loose rock but beautiful scenery!

This being our first moderate hike it was a workout! 2 hours up and 2 down. Heavy inclines with rocks and boulders so I would recommend hiking poles if you too are a beginner. However the pools are worth it, seeing we spent 2 hours there taking in the sights and temps!

As a novice hiker, this is accurately labeled as moderate. We went up early morning, so we luckily had the shadow of the mountain shading us the majority of the way up. I had to stop several times on the way up, it got me good, haha. The first pool was maybe about 3 feet deep while the second was above five feet but less than six. It's definitely worth it when you get to the pools. It gets hot quick, though. The walk down was much easier than the way up, but by this time we no longer had the shadow of the mountain to offer us it's shade. To say it was hot is an understatement. Overall, I would definitely recommend and do this hike again.

This trail is marked easy however I would say easy befits those that are looking for a walk on flat ground or even someone that is in shape yet has trouble with an incline for more than one section of a trail; that's easy.
This is not easy, I'd label it moderate. While I enjoyed myself thoroughly, jumping from rock to rock all the way up and through the switchbacks, the hubby was not as exalted. He is in great shape but not hiking shape, endurance mainly in the leg muscle area.
The trail starts on very loose beach like sand for .7 mi, at which point you begin your ascent which for the remaining two miles is largely uphill, over large rocks, and a few switchbacks. Even with the hubby's troubles it was worth it, for him, to get to the falls. DO BE SURE to go left not right when you are at the pools as the right is beautiful it doesn't contain pools with enough water for swimming.
One of the pools was about 4 ft deep while the second, lower one, was about 8 ft, this is Mid May. The hike, the pools are all amazing; definitely one of my new favorites. Downside is it is heavily trafficked and you d annoy have dogs past the .7 mark.

The pools were worth it once you get to jump in and cool off! Plan for rocky hills and lots of sun though. Remember, no dogs allowed on this trail!

great hike

This is my favorite hike in Tucson.

Great hike, maybe not "Easy". Steep elevation change.

Great hike! The pools at the end were well worth the work to get there.

Up and back in 2:30. Fun workout, beautiful pools.

This one's hard! Uphill in the sun for about 90% of the trip to the pools. If that doesn't scare you off, it is a BEAUTIFUL hike and a great workout. Bring a ton of water.

We completed this hike in November so there was lots of greenery and the water was flowing pretty good at the Romero pools which was definitely worth the trek. My only complaint about the hike was the amount of plastic bottles and garbage left by hikers throughout the trail system.