Robbers Roost-Superstition

Robbers Roost-Superstition is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from October until April.

cave

old growth

This hike has lots of great views of the Superstition Mountains. This hike is not easy at all. You would need to have some type of map and know how to read it. The trail is easy to find but once you reach Carney Saddle it fades quickly. There are cairns along the way.

This is three part video of Carney Springs to Saddle and Roost and then angling down to Fremont Saddle that I found on utube but did not make myself.

Part 2 shows the actual ROOST at about 4 minutes into that video.Part 2 has views of in and out of roost.

We got a dozen scouts in and out of their in 1980;s so this video was more recent reminder of how hard it was to FIND the actual boulder-pile-roost. The views were great all around that area of the mountain above the Peralta Trail.

All day adventure.

In 1980's I hiked up here as helper for a big group of scouts. The Parents mostly gave up halfway up from Carney Springs TH but we had enough senior scouts for corral and help the younger ones. Took short thick rope along to guide the young scouts down into the "cave" which is simply several giant boulders forming a "hiding place for robbers."

This was a day hike after many shorter hikes for these scouts. They also back-packed to Bluff Sprints for overnight adventure with two scout groups, and after many overnight outings their reward was either Havasupai or Grand Canyon tenting at bottom. Down the Kaibab and up the Bright Angel. But Robbers Roost day hike was part of the "getting ready" process. You need better details to really find the bouldered "roost." We went in 1980;s

This was my first time to Robbers Roost and I made some changes as we came out on Barks Upper Canyon. Which was a very little used trail but we found our way out. The weather could not have been any nicer. There was just so much to to see on this hike and I plan on doing this one again