EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village is a 23 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, AZ that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from May until October.

23.0 miles 6484 feet Point to Point

Four days across the Grand Canyon you will never forget! There is a secret to a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike: Take four days to do it, even if you can do it in one. I have friends who go South to North in one day, and some do North to South the next. That's good for bragging rights, but how much of the Canyon do they really get to see? - How much time can they spend at Ribbon Falls? It's a destination unto itself. - Can they spend a couple of hours drinking beer at Phantom Ranch and hanging out with other hikers? - They miss the incredible night breeze at Cottonwood Camp. - And they miss sunset at Plateau Point, which must be seen to be believed. So, take your time--take four days for the hike. Each day's trek is six miles or so, and you have all kinds of time to actually see the Canyon and marvel at its beauty. Spend your first night at Cottonwood Camp, and marvel at the lights from the North Rim Lodge twinkling a mile above you. Spend the second at Bright Angel Campground, and enjoy a steak dinner at Phantom Ranch. Spend your third night at Indian Garden, and just relax. The fourth day's hike out is much easier, since you are already nearly halfway up the south rim.

Absolutely amazing experience, I would recommend to all. Just make sure you prepare yourself for the trip. I hiked from the South Rim to the North Rim in one day during this last summer in June. Finishing the hike was an amazing accomplishment that I will always remember and I hope to do it again soon.

One of the greatest day hikes that you can do. Group of 4 50 year olds started at 5:45 and came up the south rim at 6. Long day but a fantastic experience all the way through. Did the hike in May 2014 and started preparing 6 months prior. We had 3 qualifying hikes of 20 plus miles to help ensure we were on track.

r2r one day. Pretty difficult, but so beautiful.

Should be more stars....... Did rim to rim, had a pizza and a couple of beers and back again 4 years ago and it was indeed epic and the greatest hike I've ever done or ever will do... Took 4 days and enjoyed every minute except not being able to sleep at night due to the heat and thinking about the next day........EPIC!

5/14/16 - South to North Kaibab trail. Stayed in cabins at North Rim, then took the shuttle back south.

Amazing hike, great trails and views.

No words can accurately describe this trek; truly a once in a life time journey and will never forget my time in the canyon

Beautiful, challenging, rewarding

There is just so much you miss looking at the canyon at the top. Seeing it from the ground up was beautiful, views you can't see anywhere else. Those cracks,crevices, and tiny holes in the ground hold so much life, water, animals and falls that I'll never forget. Not to mention the stars were so bright and mesmerizing. Unfortunately, Rim to Rim from North to South (or any direction) is not for everybody. I trained with 45lbs of bird seed on the stair master at the gym and it made my 15lb bag feel like nothing. I would say the trail itself is moderate in level, it's well maintained and your not hugging the edge the whole time. The part that makes it difficult is how L O N G it is, make sure to start early and rest a night if you can. I also would recommend for your first time hiking down start from the North Kaibab trail head (not as steep as it sounds) and camp overnight at Phantom Ranch (they book quick but there seems to be a trend in catching cancellations). After your overnight stay hike up Bright Angel to the South Rim, it's less steep and a shorter distance. The only bad thing about the Bright Angel trail is when you reach the three mile mark or summit you have Rim visitors who don't necessarily speak English and don't understand up hill hikers have the right away. After hiking the trail for so long all uphill my spike from my poles was very close to some flip flop feet. It's a great trail and if you prepare correctly you'll find yourself missing it before you even left. Just remember going down is an option coming down is not.

The trail is SPECTACULAR ... We're planning my third R2R2R run in 12 short days! Can anyone please confirm that water supplies are currently active and plentiful at:

- On South Kaibab: Skeleton Point, and Tonto Crossing
- Phantom Ranch / South Kaibab bridge
- On North Kaibab: Cottonwood, Mule tie-ups (after the tunnel)
- On Bright Angel: Indian Gardens, and the Lookout

Thanks in advance! Sam

Best solo 4 days/3 nights I've had! Began July 4, 1997, from South Rim

I have been to the South and North Rim, but have never done any over night hiking. My friends and I are planning a rim to rim hiking trip and the only time we have to do this is in the month of July (we work in education and it's the only real time we have off). Is this rim to rim hiking trip do-able in the month of July? Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give us.

Amazing experience. We took shuttle from south rim costing $80 per person for north rim. Stated hiking around 1pm from North Kebab Trail. Descent into Grand Canyon was really spectacular. We reached Phantom Ranch around 9pm in dark.

We stayed in hostel located at Phantom Ranch. Town is really nice and small, horses and Deers are also resident of this town. We started hiking up on Bright Angel Trailhead in the morning around 8am and reached top at 1pm. It was pretty difficult as it is straight up for 5000ft.

Backpacked South Kaibab to North and back to South via Bright Angel over five days with my parents. Incredibly rewarding 45 mile experience.

One of the most amazing trails I've hiked- when I hiked it in late March flowers and trees were blossoming on the south rim while the north rim still had a few inches of snow. Fantastic views the whole way through and beautiful campgrounds- I look forward to hiking this trail again