EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village is a 23 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, AZ that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from May until October.

23.0 miles 5423 feet Point to Point

Four days across the Grand Canyon you will never forget! There is a secret to a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike: Take four days to do it, even if you can do it in one. I have friends who go South to North in one day, and some do North to South the next. That's good for bragging rights, but how much of the Canyon do they really get to see? - How much time can they spend at Ribbon Falls? It's a destination unto itself. - Can they spend a couple of hours drinking beer at Phantom Ranch and hanging out with other hikers? - They miss the incredible night breeze at Cottonwood Camp. - And they miss sunset at Plateau Point, which must be seen to be believed. So, take your time--take four days for the hike. Each day's trek is six miles or so, and you have all kinds of time to actually see the Canyon and marvel at its beauty. Spend your first night at Cottonwood Camp, and marvel at the lights from the North Rim Lodge twinkling a mile above you. Spend the second at Bright Angel Campground, and enjoy a steak dinner at Phantom Ranch. Spend your third night at Indian Garden, and just relax. The fourth day's hike out is much easier, since you are already nearly halfway up the south rim.

5/14/16 - South to North Kaibab trail. Stayed in cabins at North Rim, then took the shuttle back south.

Amazing hike, great trails and views.

No words can accurately describe this trek; truly a once in a life time journey and will never forget my time in the canyon

Beautiful, challenging, rewarding

There is just so much you miss looking at the canyon at the top. Seeing it from the ground up was beautiful, views you can't see anywhere else. Those cracks,crevices, and tiny holes in the ground hold so much life, water, animals and falls that I'll never forget. Not to mention the stars were so bright and mesmerizing. Unfortunately, Rim to Rim from North to South (or any direction) is not for everybody. I trained with 45lbs of bird seed on the stair master at the gym and it made my 15lb bag feel like nothing. I would say the trail itself is moderate in level, it's well maintained and your not hugging the edge the whole time. The part that makes it difficult is how L O N G it is, make sure to start early and rest a night if you can. I also would recommend for your first time hiking down start from the North Kaibab trail head (not as steep as it sounds) and camp overnight at Phantom Ranch (they book quick but there seems to be a trend in catching cancellations). After your overnight stay hike up Bright Angel to the South Rim, it's less steep and a shorter distance. The only bad thing about the Bright Angel trail is when you reach the three mile mark or summit you have Rim visitors who don't necessarily speak English and don't understand up hill hikers have the right away. After hiking the trail for so long all uphill my spike from my poles was very close to some flip flop feet. It's a great trail and if you prepare correctly you'll find yourself missing it before you even left. Just remember going down is an option coming down is not.

The trail is SPECTACULAR ... We're planning my third R2R2R run in 12 short days! Can anyone please confirm that water supplies are currently active and plentiful at:

- On South Kaibab: Skeleton Point, and Tonto Crossing
- Phantom Ranch / South Kaibab bridge
- On North Kaibab: Cottonwood, Mule tie-ups (after the tunnel)
- On Bright Angel: Indian Gardens, and the Lookout

Thanks in advance! Sam

Best solo 4 days/3 nights I've had! Began July 4, 1997, from South Rim

Amazing experience. We took shuttle from south rim costing $80 per person for north rim. Stated hiking around 1pm from North Kebab Trail. Descent into Grand Canyon was really spectacular. We reached Phantom Ranch around 9pm in dark.

We stayed in hostel located at Phantom Ranch. Town is really nice and small, horses and Deers are also resident of this town. We started hiking up on Bright Angel Trailhead in the morning around 8am and reached top at 1pm. It was pretty difficult as it is straight up for 5000ft.

Backpacked South Kaibab to North and back to South via Bright Angel over five days with my parents. Incredibly rewarding 45 mile experience.

One of the most amazing trails I've hiked- when I hiked it in late March flowers and trees were blossoming on the south rim while the north rim still had a few inches of snow. Fantastic views the whole way through and beautiful campgrounds- I look forward to hiking this trail again

Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim. North Rim to Bright Angel Lodge. Yaki Point to North Rim. Started at 5:05 am and finished at 7;42 pm. Messed around on the South Rim for about three hours eating lunch, fixing feet and looking at visitor centers, etc. Rained all the way from Yaki Point to North Rim. Epic Adventure! Next time, more food.

Grand Canyon North to South in one day, my plan was to leave car on south side. I was dropped off by North Kaibab Trail 5:45AM and I started my way to Phantom Ranch. On that day July 1 sunrise was 5:15 sunset 7:45 with temp 113F at river. I purposely picked this time of the year because of longest daylight time and at same time it could be the hottest time in Canyon, I was aware of it. In my backpack I had 5 bottles of water, snacks for day and five empty bottles which I planned to fill before ascend. You have to be on “light” mode – no phone, no car keys. By 11:42AM I reached Phantom Ranch. At 2PM started to my way back up using short route South Kaibab Trail. As I expected the most strenuous portion is first two hours on climb up(it is hot and heavy backpack with water). My suggestion will be not to use South Kaibab trail on ascend on a hot sunny day(it’s a killer)- you need to have a lot of water in order keep moving. I was under the sun on my climb up some where 40-45 minutes after I crossed Black Bridge and then just in luck sun disappeared behind clouds for next couple of hours, this gave me huge relieve, but still my pace was slower than usual. For last half mile that is left maybe 7 or 10 in time till end of trail for the first time on this day I felt short pain of my left leg and literally can see the head trail on top of edge – well it is just a reminder that muscles giving a message “ we are getting close to limits, give us a break”. And final break for the day was just a few minutes away – 7:05PM at South Kaibab trailhead. It was not easy day, but pleasant moment at the end of long day spent with Nature.

Done in three days. South rim to north rim. Stayed at the employee bunkhouses at phantom ranch and above cottonwood campground when I was a volunteer at the park. Could have hiked in two days but enjoyed the extra time to take in the scenery and take a side trip to ribbon falls.

Best trip ever.

We did it in 3 days in late October. First night camped at cottonwood, and indian garden the second. Temperature in the canyon is much warmer than the rims. View is absolutely spectacular. I love part of the trail that winds up on colorado river banks. And bright angel, too, especially when you look into the cascades of canyons. We missed plateau point, will definitely check that next time.

Such beautiful hike, and the views are beyond words, seeing this in person is truly a blessing. I enjoyed every minute there i can't wait to return one day

My wife and I did this trail for the fifth time in September 2014. We're 65 and 67 years old and in fair shape. We started out before sunrise on South Rim on Thursday with minimal pack weight (water, purifier,change of clothing, SPOT device, smart phones, snacks, Go-Lyte umbrellas, trekking poles). Had reservations at the North Lodge that night. We could have taken a return shuttle from the North Side the next day, but felt pretty good in the morning. So, we hiked back to the South Rim, as planned. Plenty of water available. Temp was in the high 90's. Umbrellas really helped! Saw Grand Canyon rattlesnake and mountain sheep. Exited the South Rim at 12:30 a.m., having hiked the last 5 miles by moonlight and headlamps.