Reavis Ranch

Reavis Ranch is a 18 mile out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, AZ. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Awesome, long and no water till the ranch.

Lovely scenery and flowers. Nice and relatively easy trail. No signs other than entry sign to label other trails that feed into the main trail, so definitely come prepared to make sure you follow the right trails if you plan to get on a connecting route. And, the road to the trail itself is an adventure. (Narrow dirt road) Very secluded trail. All in all great hike though.

This is one of our favorite trails. We have rode our horses in and camped 2 times and planning our 3rd trip in a couple of weeks.

This was long and OK only. There are better hikes, but still worth it. The trail is very good, and not especially uneven. Scenery was good, and sweeping. The drive there (dirt road) takes only a little skill and courage (low clearance vehicle is OK). The drive into Apache Lake is really truly awesome, one of my favs for dirt road drives. You wouldn't believe this is not far at all from Phoenix.

Reavis Valley Trail 109

Have hiked into Reavis Ranch on the Reavis Valley Trail 109 from both the Reavis trail head and the Roger's Trough trail head. The drive to the Reavis trail head takes you past Canyon lake and is well graded. The drive to the Roger's Trough trail head used to require high clearance and sometimes a 4wd.
I think that the hike from the Reavis Trail head is more scenic. It tends to be a more gradual climb over a long distance. It is also a little longer. From Roger's Trough you start with 2 miles of switchbacks, after that it is an easier hike. From either side Reavis Ranch is a popular camping spot. Water has been sparse the last several years, but you can usually find something standing in the creek near the old homestead. This year with all the rain, water was flowing and the apple orchard was full of ripe apples.

Only went 6 miles but enjoyed it a lot. Planning on coming back and hitting the whole trail with a family overnight backpacking trip. Well defined trails up to where I hiked. Decent amount of parking at trailhead.

You need the entire weekend to enjoy and endure the backpacking adventure; but don't take the wrong turn coming back like we did (His fault, for not listening to me). We ended up spending an extra night without water, top it off I got canned from the job Tuesday morning. No kidding; I said on Friday "if I didn't show up on Monday it's because we got lost". The hike is worth it. Along the way you are surrounded by beautiful Mountain scenery and the Arizona desert Vegetation. You will see Anasazi Indian ruins, small cliff dwelling or out coves. Keep your eyes open for reptiles and wildlife.

The Reavis Ranch itself is now a foundation of house that was burned to the ground in 1966 and then again in 1984. It was built originally back in 1874, by a gardener built the house and lived there until his death at the age of 69 his name was Elisha Marcus Reavis. Look close enough and you can see his grave, marked by a pile of rocks. Don't forget to look up, the clouds seem close..not sure of the elevation, I think as high as 5,000 ft. So plan to give it your all. Enjoy.