Pusch Peak

Pusch Peak is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Short but difficult hike with incredible mountaintop views. Definitely not for the amateur. Although short in distance, this hike will carry you up 2000 ft in no time. Sturdy hiking boots are recommended, you're venturing into serious ankle-breaking territory.However, if properly equipped, this hike will give you plenty to smile about as you scramble up onto 3 seperate peaks before reaching your destination of Pusch Peak. As you start out, be sure and head down the trail on the left side, after about 500 yards you'll come to a fork in the trail, stay to the right on the "main trail". Once you get to the "mileage" marker look to your right (East) and you'll spot the trail leading you into the mountain range, otherwise, you'll end up making a big circle and winding up back at the trailhead. If your not up for a major hike this lower loop does just fine. A pair of climbing gloves is a big help as your going to be scrambling on boulders. Definitely intense, but well worth it, you're in for a stunning visual experience.

Don't go too late. We left about 3-4pm and didn't get down until it was about 7pm and pitch black out. Came home with a ton of cactus needles all over us. We also lost the trail about three quarters of the way up the mountain... Amazing views over the city though

This trail was accurately described as difficult. The first part of the loop is just rocky terrain but the trail up the mountain is rocky, loose and strenuous. Good workout and worth the views at the top. Careful on the way down, the loose rocks make it just as challenging on the down trip.

I went too late so I didn't make it to the peak. I will try again before heading home to PNW. I only wish to see a clearly marked trail direction otherwise I love the experience.

Loved the trail, the parking lot located right near the main street which is easy to access. I came on thursday afternoon and there are only 3-4 cars in the parking lot. This trail is hard but not extremely. It does have steep slopes and loose rocks which reminds me of the Elden Lookout trail in Flagstaff. Wearing appropriate shoes is recommended, there will be few parts that you have to climb over the rocks but they are not really dangerous though, those are good challenges. You may have to be careful on the way back, don't trust those little evil rocks :) i would wear a long pants in this trail since it is invaded by bushes and cactuses. The view on top will cover the oro valley area and part of tucson, very nice. Overall i rate this trail 5 stars since there are few good things about this trail. 1- easy to access 2- challenging (good workout) 3- short which means less time consuming. Good luck;)

Great views. Horrible hike. Loose rock make it near impossible to avoid falling. You will get bit by the cactus. Definitely need to be prepared to use your hands. I can now say that I've done this trail, but I will not do it again.

Great hike that I usually do once a year with friends and the views at the top never cease to amaze me. also you will find a logbook for those that like to sign in when you reach the peak of your hikes.
Happy hiking!

Amazing hike with outstanding views of Tucson and Oro Valley. The sunset was incredible from the top and the city lights were also amazing. This hike deserves a higher difficulty rating than every other trail in Tucson, it is a rough hike. Expect to climb on hands and knees both up and down the mountain.

Amazing

Just went past the sign today and saw that it now reads "Bighorn lambing--do not enter."

Stunning views from peak. Lots of steep climbing. If your legs are somewhat short, be prepared to work harder than others. Use of trekking poles was very helpful. Took us fifty-somethings in good shape six hours total. Took our time coming down.

One of the best hikes I've ever taken. Of course that's subjective, your mileage may vary.
Liked it because it started out as a 3 out of 10 and finished (peak trail) a 9 difficulty. This forum was helpful in planning since I live in the Northeast and had no idea what to expect.Hiking is very different there. We have these things called trees. :) I also got some good advice from the friendly guys at the nearby Summit Hut on Oracle. They deserve the plug.

I bought a pair of trekking poles which helped immensely on the descent. I also brought some gloves. You dont want to go reaching out for one of the many many cactus and agave/aloe plants all over. Not to mention the couple of crevasses you need to get through - they are small and few but was more than a step for me.

I failed to make the pinnacle because I was afraid I wouldnt get down by sunset. Had I started an hour sooner I would have seen that sweet view. No matter, what i saw from 5200' or so was pretty great.

Enjoy!