Pusch Peak

Pusch Peak is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, AZ that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Short but difficult hike with incredible mountaintop views. Definitely not for the amateur. Although short in distance, this hike will carry you up 2000 ft in no time. Sturdy hiking boots are recommended, you're venturing into serious ankle-breaking territory.However, if properly equipped, this hike will give you plenty to smile about as you scramble up onto 3 seperate peaks before reaching your destination of Pusch Peak. As you start out, be sure and head down the trail on the left side, after about 500 yards you'll come to a fork in the trail, stay to the right on the "main trail". Once you get to the "mileage" marker look to your right (East) and you'll spot the trail leading you into the mountain range, otherwise, you'll end up making a big circle and winding up back at the trailhead. If your not up for a major hike this lower loop does just fine. A pair of climbing gloves is a big help as your going to be scrambling on boulders. Definitely intense, but well worth it, you're in for a stunning visual experience.

Loved the trail, the parking lot located right near the main street which is easy to access. I came on thursday afternoon and there are only 3-4 cars in the parking lot. This trail is hard but not extremely. It does have steep slopes and loose rocks which reminds me of the Elden Lookout trail in Flagstaff. Wearing appropriate shoes is recommended, there will be few parts that you have to climb over the rocks but they are not really dangerous though, those are good challenges. You may have to be careful on the way back, don't trust those little evil rocks :) i would wear a long pants in this trail since it is invaded by bushes and cactuses. The view on top will cover the oro valley area and part of tucson, very nice. Overall i rate this trail 5 stars since there are few good things about this trail. 1- easy to access 2- challenging (good workout) 3- short which means less time consuming. Good luck;)

Great views. Horrible hike. Loose rock make it near impossible to avoid falling. You will get bit by the cactus. Definitely need to be prepared to use your hands. I can now say that I've done this trail, but I will not do it again.

Great hike that I usually do once a year with friends and the views at the top never cease to amaze me. also you will find a logbook for those that like to sign in when you reach the peak of your hikes.
Happy hiking!

Amazing hike with outstanding views of Tucson and Oro Valley. The sunset was incredible from the top and the city lights were also amazing. This hike deserves a higher difficulty rating than every other trail in Tucson, it is a rough hike. Expect to climb on hands and knees both up and down the mountain.

Amazing

Just went past the sign today and saw that it now reads "Bighorn lambing--do not enter."

Stunning views from peak. Lots of steep climbing. If your legs are somewhat short, be prepared to work harder than others. Use of trekking poles was very helpful. Took us fifty-somethings in good shape six hours total. Took our time coming down.

One of the best hikes I've ever taken. Of course that's subjective, your mileage may vary.
Liked it because it started out as a 3 out of 10 and finished (peak trail) a 9 difficulty. This forum was helpful in planning since I live in the Northeast and had no idea what to expect.Hiking is very different there. We have these things called trees. :) I also got some good advice from the friendly guys at the nearby Summit Hut on Oracle. They deserve the plug.

I bought a pair of trekking poles which helped immensely on the descent. I also brought some gloves. You dont want to go reaching out for one of the many many cactus and agave/aloe plants all over. Not to mention the couple of crevasses you need to get through - they are small and few but was more than a step for me.

I failed to make the pinnacle because I was afraid I wouldnt get down by sunset. Had I started an hour sooner I would have seen that sweet view. No matter, what i saw from 5200' or so was pretty great.

Enjoy!

Amazing views of the city and Mt. Lemon from the summit. Took about 1hr 45mins to reach the summit. We didn't think it was as challenging as described in other reviews but the cactus lining the trail do come into play and you will get pricked. Tip...there is a canister at the top with sign in. Does anyone know why there is two geo markers at the summit?

Just hiked this on 10-11-14. This was a rather brutal hike!! I did it once before and forgot how difficult it was. Not Fun At All!!! Trail was difficult to find at times. We became swarmed with gnats!!! Cactus on trail led to many cuts along the way. Two boys on the way down were really cut up from the hike. I am still picking out cactus needles from my hands and I was wearing gloves!!! To the hike's benefit, there were some beautiful views, but you will pay to see them!!!

I hiked with Eric..."two experienced hikers"...haha. This is an amazing trail, wouldn't do it again but I'm glad I did it! I'll anything ONCE! : D lots of protein your quads will burn! Have fun.

Be warned.. This hike is not for the faint of heart! As others have mentioned, when you come across the "no trail maintenance" sign... That's where the "fun" starts.

This is incredibly steep. You will brush against Cactus and overgrowth through most of this trail. Not for beginners! I have hiked all over AZ, and found this to be one of the toughest on my list. If you lose the trail, just keep going up. That's eventually where you'll be going. It's much easier to follow going down. Just know your route and use the peaks as reference points and you will find your way. Give yourself plenty of time... And bring more water than you normally need. It took almost 4 hours out and back for 2 very experienced hikers. I almost ran out of water and brought 2 liters.

An incredible experience, with amazing views. It's a incredible sense of accomplishment once you step back and see what you've completed. We were even fortunate to see a mountain goat at the top!

Beautiful hike, not a ton of people- definitely recommend! I'm 25 and in very good shape, but I'd still say it is a heart pounder- wouldn't recommend it for a beginner unless you bring a lot of water and take your time. To me the trail was well marked. Take the main trail straight back and there is a white sign that says something like "not maintained trail" and just start going up up up! Tend to stay to the left if you ever get to a fork in the trail. The map above followed it perfectly so if you have service like verizon I was able to check in and follow it the whole way. Enjoy!

I hiked to the top, it was 2.9 mls with about a 3200 ft in elevation gain. It was very steep and slow going for me, being out of shape. It took me 6 hours up and back. I took my time with plenty of rest stops for water and to catch my breath.

This trail was great. It wss y first hike with any real elevation gain. I took my time and enjoyed it.
There are many places where you have to scramble up rocks. The trail is not very distinct in places but the views from the top are amazing.

Awesome hike! A must for tucsonans and visitors that have the time. Alltrails map doesn't follow the trail accurately.

Views at the top are breathtaking!! Lost trail on way down, but met with someone who had hiked it before and saved me :) Cactus needles were in my legs by the time I finished. Recommend long pants and gloves. Great Hike!!