Pontatoc Ridge Trail

Pontatoc Ridge Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Tucson: Drive north on Oracle Road (US 89) to Ina Road. Turn right (east) on Ina and drive about a mile to Skyline Road which branches off to the south (right). Follow Skyline (have to make a left to stay on Skyline) to Alvernon Way and turn left (north) to the trailhead and parking lot at the end of the pavement.

Great trail, my legs are feeling it! While the parking lot was full, most people seemed to be on the Finger Rock or canyon trail, so only passed a few others heading up to the ridge on an otherwise busy Sunday morning. Beautiful views along the way and checking out the old mine shafts was super fun! Bring a light or use your phone and walk into the long shaft at the top. Good luck and have fun!

A hidden gem in Tucson. The water was flowing well after a heavy rain - which also made some of then granite rock faces a bit slick. The split between trail 410 and 411 occurs at about 1 mile in. I went 411 aka pontatoc ridge trail (vs canyon which I haven't done). At this point After a bit of flat it becomes challenging. Stay right to get to old mining shafts - it is breathtaking. It's rated hard and my knees would agree- I'm 36 and in decent shape. The views are worth every step!!!!

Wonderful! - A trail that presents an uphill challenge, but beautiful views at the top are well worth the climb. I wore high top hiking boots and highly recommend the ankle support but it's totally not necessary!

Great views, good challenge. A little difficult to follow in the beginning.

Pontatoc Ridge Trail is a fun and challenging hike. About one mile in there is a gorgeous rock overlook. The next mile is all climbing; 1300 feet up to the end of the trail. The views of Tucson are breathtaking. So is the climb. Bring lots of water and take your time; you definitely don't want to trip and fall on this trail.

Lots of loose, unconsolidated gravel on the path. The path is unmarked and hard to find a times, but if you're willing to explore a bit there are amazing views of Tucson!

it was not too difficult except I don't like hiking in the heat. I'd rather do this trail when it's in the 30s.

Just returned from hike to end of trail #411. It was all I wanted it to be. It was difficult for me (first hike of the year for me during my Spring visit to the family in Tucson) and found myself stopping several times to enjoy the "panora" (malaprop from an old friend of mine) especially since I am travelling from Western NY to the desert SW. Bring lots of water (I sure needed it) but just an amazing experience to see Tucson laid out at your feet. Who knows, may get our grandchildren up here one day.
Directions set forth herein are accurate. I simply wanted to "get to the end of Trail #411" and I was successful and thankful to the cairn builders for guiding this ol' Grandpa.
Really enjoyed the "notch" before the last push to the end. Sorry to see that it appears an old placard has been "removed" (to someone's dorm room, perhaps??)
It was work, but I recommend it. It was accurately rated as "difficult" for me.

Hiked up to the abandoned copper mines at the end of the trail. When you get to the placard saying the trail has ended go right and follow the slightly precarious trail up to the mines... Basically giant holes in the side of the cliff. I went last Saturday. Began hiking at 9 and only saw one small group the entire time. Great hike and awesome finish at the mines!

I've made it to the top once I think while I lived in AZ, it's a great hike:)