Pine Creek Loop And Ballantine Trail

Pine Creek Loop And Ballantine Trail is a 8.8 mile loop trail located near Tortilla Flat, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

I did the longer part of this trail, heading further east a few miles past the 1.5 mile marker (did most of the 14.5 mile loop). Once you get up to the beginning of the actual Boulder Flats area the trail is worn and poorly maintained. They let cattle run around there so you end up getting confused quite easily (especially if you stray off even a few hundred feet).

DO NOT do the 14.5 mile loop during the summer unless you have ample sun protection and PLENTY of water (something I didn't do, haha). I can easily imagine older persons or unfit individuals succumbing to the heat. There is no breeze for the greater part of the summer months and it's low altitude. You'll be getting valley heat.

I actually ended up getting totally lost, having to scale the giant boulder-encrusted hills. Was fun, but probably almost died from heat stroke (109 F, hehe).

I recommend Barnhardt trail instead. It's a harder trail but far more varied in terrain. You won't be missing much here at Ballantine, unfortunately.

kind of a long drive from Phoenix. Fun trail but it is very narrow. the loop is an easy hike of about 3 miles. Half way through the loop there are 3 additional trails ranging from 3 to 11 miles.

I only did the loop, and my goodness - this trail was HARD to find! Half the time I was just following people's footprints hoping I was on the right path! But the view was great and the hike wasn't too difficult.