Picketpost Mountain Trail

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this trail around 8:30 am on a Sunday in February. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but we didn't really encounter that many other hikers on the trail.

The first mile of this hike is incredibly easy, lots of flat and slight uphill walking. Other than a lot of loose rocks and dirt, and some parts being washed out due to recent rain, the first mile was a breeze. The rest of this trail, however, was not. The second mile going up to the summit is where you gain all of your elevation and you do so climbing more or less straight up a canyon wall to the plateau with the mail box. This hike is not for the faint of heart. We went in a group of three, with one very experienced hikers and two moderate hikers, and it still took us a little over four hours round trip.

The trail is not easy to follow. There are several paths you can follow up the canyon, none of them is simple. Trail markings are frequent but somewhat confusing. It is very narrow in some spots with nothing between you and falling down the side of a mountain. Lots of rocks to climb up and over. We did meet someone who was on their way down who advised us to stay to the right of the cliff, but then the second group we passed said to stay to the left. We never did find the cliff they were referring to.

What we did find was one of the most spectacular views I've ever gotten. I don't know how much of that was because of how excited I was to have even made it up there in the first place. The mail box was cute, I spent some time reading the journals tucked inside it. You can't see the mailbox when you get to the top, there's a second plateau to the left you have to climb up to get to the actual summit where the bench and mailbox are.

I would probably never do this hike again, but it was absolutely worth it.

Great views and cute little bench and (obviously) mailbox at the top. It was a pretty sketchy hike with lots of loose rock and scrambling. It was easy to lose the trail. I wouldn't recommend doing it solo if you've never done it. Lots of trail finding.

only draw back is markings otherwise a good trail.

WATCH FOR ICE! Came here on a somewhat chilly day (high was in the 60s but we set out in the morning.) People warned us on the way up about the ice saying they almost lost their dog when their dog when it slipped on some ice. We didn't have issues on the way up but on the way back down it was hard to find the trail. We thought we were on trail but we were quite off. Ended up on a frozen waterfall. At one point someone in our group slipped on some ice and shot very quickly 20 feet down the mountain almost off a cliff. He luckily was able to stop himself before falling to his death. We are all experienced hikers and outdoors people in good shape- so use caution and make sure you bring good shoes with good tread- can't stress this enough. My combat boots were great for this hike/climbing. We were recording on the app so we used this app to find our way back to the trail. Use caution, wear good shoes, watch for ice on cold days. One of my favorite hikes. The ice made for a beautiful experience- however it was dangerous.

Great workout hike!

Great hike! Best to go when it is cool our or start very early. Roughly comparable to Flat Iron.

The trail can be super hard to find and it's a bit frustrating. The top was amazing with the mailbox and cute little bench but it's probably just a one and done hike for me.

This was a great hike. I'm going to go again. It's a very hard climb. So be prepared

Amazing hike, very strenuous, there is quite a bit of scrambling and climbing involved. Bring lots of water and snacks for the top. Plan to spend a good amount of time up there taking in the AMAZING views and rummaging through the mailbox. There's some really heartfelt things to read in there. One of my favorite hikes yet.

This trail was amazing. Great views, nice and challenging. It requires a little route finding as we ended up off trail and doing a ton of hand over hand scrambling, and at some spots, almost completely vertical.

Awesome solo hike up, got lost on way down for about half hour, tumbled got scraped up but all in all, epic and finally got to the mailbox!

Absolutely in love with this hike! It is most definitely a challenge, and I highly recommend gloves and good hiking shoes for the climbing/scrambling part. The trail isn't super well defined, but we followed white arrows/cairns on the way up and blue arrows/cairns on the way down. Took about 2 hours to get up and 1.5 hours to get down. All I can say is that the juice is worth the squeeze, the views up top are absolutely breathtaking!! Take time to look at the items in the mailbox, read inspiring quotes/stories, and if you take something be sure to leave something. So neat!!!