Petrified Forest Scenic Drive

Petrified Forest Scenic Drive is a 28.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Chambers, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

28.9 miles 1371 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

Multiple hikes and wilderness trails. Maps are available at the Visitor Centers.

scenic driving

As far as scenic drives go, this is a solid outing. Terrain is variable constantly and the painted deserts are gorgeous.

scenic driving

Very beautiful Park, so many nice formations and colors

Beautiful red sandstone features and desolate isolation leaves the entire wilderness to you most of the time during the hike. A must experience for the intrepid traveller.

This is a great for an exploration into the past. You can see lots of petrified trees and views of the painted desert.

scenic driving

Nice park, take your time and get into it a little. Excellent exhibits and good short hikes

Really fun to explore the wilderness area behind the Painted Desert Inn. My daughter loved climbing the hills. The hike out is a little challenging, but short.

Great! One of the best parks I've been to
Would recommend as a stop on a Grand Canyon trip

scenic driving

Very cool area. Loved it as a kid.

We visited around Nov 1, 2014. We started at the north end at the visitor's center and then drove south stopping at a few overlooks and scenic views. See the painted desert, but save time for the petrified forest. There are trails in and around trees that now is rock/quartz. Taking petrified wood from the National Park is forbidden. However, just outside the park, you can get pieces of the petrified wood VERY cheap as people own land around the park and have access to petrified wood. There seems to be an overabundance people are willing to sell cheaply. This was primarily a driving experience with many stops along the way. Views are worth it!

Multiple trails at the park, many identified and reviewed on this site. Highly recommend the backpack trails.

scenic driving

Returned this year and hiked a few more trails. This is a unique park. highly recommend to all.

As a little girl traveling with my family, I remember seeing the park from the car. Now that I've grown up, I have had the chance to enjoy the beauty of the park along the Rim Trail from the Desert Inn. Spectacular views abound if you will take the time to look around. Also take time to visit the ruins and see the petroglyphs in the park. With all the beauty of the north and south ends, don't miss the locomotive rumbling across the desert. Somehow I could see a band of mounted bandits racing the train. Sometimes, my imagination gets the best of me!

Decent if you're going to drive through it, but not worth getting out of the car and walking around. So many better parks and hikes.

scenic driving

Very nice scenic drive with great scenic overlooks on the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest. Several small walking trails along the way. Good photography points all along.

scenic driving

I have done it a couple times and loved it. There are places just outside where you can buy petrified wood.

scenic driving

An easy drive through the desert, that I would recommend to all

We were on our way back from Moab UT and traveling to Phoenix AZ. Since this was on our way, we did the scenic drive as well as stopped at the Visitor Center. Worth the time.

This is a stunning place but its a day trip at best and hard to appreciate as you must really stay off the ground and on the roads. Still, it is gorgeous, and better to stay preserved.

scenic driving

The drive through the petrified forest is a unique experience that began for us at the visitor center and then passed through huge examples of petrified wood in pristine colorful desesrt scenery. Recommend to everyone.