Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A)

Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A) is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Back on Perl Charles Memorial (1A) today. I caught the 1A from the Nature Trail (304) off of Squaw Peak Drive. I then turned onto the Irregular Link (1C), expecting to cross over the mountain and back to the 304, and back to parking. Somehow I missed the turn today. I didn't go straight over the mountain, but instead got back on the 1A and continued to the 302 Summit Trail. I went up to the Summit Trail, and then turned and headed down. That's a fairly long hike, and it is especially difficult in the heat. I did get a lot of nice pictures, but I was beat by the time I topped out at Summit Trail. I had done that trail before, but wasn't exactly planning on it today. At least I made it! It's a good trail anyway, and it is recommended for hikers who have a little time and a lot of leg strength. It's more good hiking at Piestewa Peak.

Great 7 mile workout!

Did the Perl Charles Memorial Trail (also known as the Squaw Peak 1A) again today.. I had been on it before, but never really did it before. Today, I intended to do the full loop, which the map shows as circling Squaw Peak. I picked it up off of the 304 (Nature Trail) beginning on the east end of Squaw Peak drive. 304 is an easy two mile loop beginning and ending there. After about one half mile it meets the 1A, and the 1A then continues on north before turning west. I headed off in that direction, entranced by the many striking rock structures along the way. I stared off the trail onto the mountain, and thought about breaking trail to climb up the side of the mountain to a trail I saw nearby. I did not break trail, but after about a mile and a half I came to the Irregular Link (1C), which turned due south and proceeded through switchbacks to climb the mountain.It also joined up again with the 1A. At the top, I proceeded down and to my pleasant surprise, came back to the 304! I was a little unsure of where I was while on the Irregular Link, but with that connection, I was right back where I wanted to be. An amazing hike for Squaw Peak!

Alltrails.com shows Perl Charles Memorial Trail at 20th Street and Aurelius. I have been there a few times, and I haven't found it there. 20th Street and Aurelius, 21st Street and Aurelius, 22nd Street and Aurelius, no trail. Fortunately, I knew it ran through Squaw Peak Park, and I picked it up there. The trail is also known as Squaw Peak 1A. I started at the East end of the park, where the 1A travels along with the 302 (Freedom Trail) as they wind around the mountain to the North. Perl Charles is a fairly long and very appealing up and down trail that requires some steep climbing and offers some restful downhill walking.. Squaw Peak, of course, is generally packed with hikers. Today is Sunday, and even though I got there at 7 am, parking was full. I managed to find what might have been the last parking spot in the park. There were lots of pesky gnats, in my mouth, in my nose, and on my skin. Fortunately, they don't sting or bite! All in all, a very nice hike, and a decent physical challenge. 107 today, though probably only 90 while I was there. Summer is almost here!

Good trail but pay attention because there are so many other intersecting trails.

The parking lot was full this am so I waited for a half an hour to get a space. There was a lot of hikers early on but they fade as it warmed up 112 today.

It was a little warm out at 105,but trail was nice. I only saw two other people on the trail. there was not much wild life out other than a few Doves. I will have to go out again on it when it cools down.

Great for hiking, mountainbiking, wildflowers in the Spring