Palo Verde Trail

Palo Verde Trail is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Scottsdale, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

the area is beautiful, with the lake and blooming cactus but it was one of the most poorly maintained and poorly marked trails that I've been. trying to stay on the trail was difficult at times and when I went the jumping cactus were out in force. there were no other hikers on the trail which is unusual for this area. if you go take plenty of water and wear a hat, very little shade.

Great Lake views on a well groomed, mostly very easy to follow trail, with more up and down than suggested by elevation profile.

Parking and drive to trailhead is easy. Remember to buy Tonto Pass before you go. Pay $6 before or risk $50 fine. The very well groomed Trail goes up and down and up and down along lake shore. This would make a food trail run, but it's getting just a bit too warm for me to run.

I saw no one else on the trail although the lake had many boats. Some quite noisy. The cactus were in bloom and very pretty. Almost no shade so remember to bring sunscreen and hat. Also even though it was on trail my shoes seemed to attract some cactus detritus than I expected, so I recommend taking a comb, pliers, or lite gators.