Old Caves Crater Trail

Old Caves Crater Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Dirt, well marked

A perfect day hike especially with kids and dogs in the Flagstaff Area. The hike is moderate, but don't let that fool ya, the last part up the hill is nice and steep. Great views of Elden and the Peaks from the top. Also at the top there are numerous lava caves. None of them are huge, but perfect for exploring with little ones.

My family and I have hiked this often when we just want to get a small hike in, and stay away from the crowds on all of the Elden Trails.

Watch for snakes, I have seen plenty on this trail.

Usually light to medium traffic. There are also several trails to choose from. There is a loop around the base if you don't wan't to take on the steep climb to the top. Nice workout, simple hike, beautiful views from the top.

This is a really great hike for someone who wants to stay in town and is looking for something easy to moderate. Great views of the peaks and Elden, would definitely do again!

I used to hike this trail when I was a little boy. Also when there was hardly any houses out there, and now there everywhere. Still a good hike though.

Not much shade on trail and the trail is sandy. Overall a fun hike the caves were fun to explore.

This was a good hike! I brought my 7 yr old daughter with me, and we made it to the summit and back down. The views were cool, and the kid loved the caves. The only complaint i had was that the Loop trail near the bottom was not marked well at all, and we had to cut cross country to get back to the trailhead. Otherwise, very enjoyable hike, took roughly 2 hours with a 7 year old with me. :)