North Trail

North Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice beginner trail. Very flat and easy for all ages.

Hike of very nice length and not difficult at all. It was a good first one for my wife and I to take as we get back into hiking.

Very easy, flat hike. As the other review here says, it is more of a nature walk, but still enjoyable. We arrived at 9am on a Sunday and were the only ones there. We saw a biker and maybe 4 others during our loop.

We did take out 9 month old puppy, and she held up good. The trail is soft and sandy for the most part.

There are markers along the way describing some of the plants and trees. It's a great, relaxing walk through the beautiful landscape.

This trail is accessible whenever the McDowell Mountains Regional Park is open. Park entry is $6 for day use. I started my hike at 5:30 pm and ended at 7:25. (I like to stop, take pictures, enjoy the view, etc)

This is really a nature loop trail. There are 28 marker posts along its 3.1 mile distance. Some have placards that identify the flora in front of the posts. What stood out for me was just how lush and big everything was. I uploaded a photo of a saguaro I found 75' north of the trailhead right next to picnic tables. It looked to be 50' tall! Compared to other Phoenix valley trails, the saguaro, ocotillo and ironwood trees are MUCH taller. And all plants in the loop seemed more dense and healthier than typical trails. In spite of the late start, I found an abundance of wildlife: lizards, mourning doves, chipmunks, grouse, road runners, and a red tail hawk. Hike this trail in the early morning hours for even more variety.

The loop affords great views of the surrounding McDowell mountains to the southeast, east and northeast. On a day with overcast skies and late day breaking sunshine, the dramatic light on the horizon is truly breathtaking. The trail itself, like many of the trails in this park, is susceptible to erosion from rain. Be prepared for some washed out sections. It's not a big deal, you just find yourself trudging through short bits of deep sand.