L.V. Yates to "Two Bit" Peak Loop

L.V. Yates to "Two Bit" Peak Loop is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well this time of the year there really was not a lot of wild life to see, just to hot. Starting from the 40st trailhead gave me a different view of the preserve. I really enjoyed this hike as some of the trails are not marked. I want to do this again in the spring after a nice rainfall. There is no water here and shade is hard to come by.

Great trail for a quick hike after work

I hiked this one by mistake! But what a good mistake! I parked at 40th trail head and meant to hike trail 8, but missed the sign and kept going straight. I just kept going anyway and found a great new hike. Somewhat popular too, as I was not alone here. This is almost as high as Squaw Peak (Piestawa), great views up here. Also a real leg burner!

I have done Two Bit Peak a couple times from a couple different starting points. L.V. Yates (8) travels in from Piestewa Peak Park, and connects to the 100 from Tatum Drive, and that's one way to get to Two Bit Peak. You can also just jump on the 100 at Tatum Drive, and then reach Two Bit Peak. You can also reach if from 40th Street. Any way you get there, this is a moderately challenging hike. It climbs steeply to the very top over sharp rocks. There is certainly a risk of falling! It's worth the trip, if not just for the catchy name alone.

I went around 9am on a weekday morning in March. It took me about an hour and a half. I stopped to take pictures. It was beautiful!
Pros- lots of pretty wildflowers (I could tell many more would be blooming soon), decent workout, super close and convenient, it was surprisingly green (at least in March), parking was easy (but it was a weekday), busy enough I felt comfortable going alone
Cons- trail of small loose rocks that were hard on knees and ankles, many people had hiking sticks and I could see why.

Did the Mystery Loop today. Not bad. I wouldn't exactly call it hard, but not bad anyway. There is a great variety of trails here, and if one goes looking, one can find the challenges. Very pleasant.

Only 3 stars today, just hot and dry. This trail is a mixture of different trails and some are not marked. There is no water anywhere so bring plenty as it is hot this time of year. This was however a good hike as I got a whole different look at the preserve. I have to go back and do this again in the fall or winter when the plants are growing and the wildlife is out.