North Mountain National Trail

North Mountain National Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice moderate hike, been twice and its my favorite!

Crowded and not a fan of paved trail. If you get off the pavement then there are quite a few one offs to enjoy and away from the people if you like more the serenity style. Quick up and down in 25 minutes if you just do the paved.

Awesome hike that anyone can do

Good in-town hike and fairly close to home. Crowded most of the time, but parking isn't a problem. Good views of the valley and nice homes and resorts! The paved parts are nothing, and takes away slightly from the hike. I go the complete loop because the rocky desert part of the hike is much better. Go around clockwise for a bigger challenge!

Amazing moderate hike! Used to live next door to this mountain and I loved hiking it every week!

Easy trail good for beginners still get a good exercise

The trail was quite easy for me to hike. Mostly hiked at night and a few during the day. Beautiful oversight of Phoenix and surrounding areas.

The trail was challenging to make it up to the top, especially, when you begin the steep side of the moutain. The view at the top is amazing. Its intriguing to see where the mountains and cities start and begin. It was easy coming down because the road is made of pavement, which makes it easy to relax while walking down.

to the top, your all most there

flippin awesome!

Great for starters! Awesome view!!

This trail was, at best, okay. I wore my hiking boots (which I regretted) because 90% of the trail is a paved road up to the towers. Once at the summit, there were a bunch of kids with their music blaring. Just took away from the whole experience.
Great views, good uphill work out. But, won't be doing this one again.

It is a steady incline the entire way, but fairly easy. I really enjoyed this hike, the 360 degree view is beautiful!!

At 7th Street and Peoria, in the heart of Phoenix, the mountain rises up abruptly to the west of the street. The trail can be started on the connector that begins near parking. That is marked Trail 40. 40 climbs steeply up to connect with the National Trail, marked Trail 44. 44 proceeds south from 40. The trail there is really more road than trail. It is paved and climbs to the radio towers at the top. There's not much to see on this paved road, and I wished I had worn tennis shoes rather than hiking boots. It is a bit of a climb, though, so it works as exercise. At the top, the trail passes by the radio towers and then continues down the other side of the mountain, and that's where the trail gets interesting. Interesting, challenging, and even a little bit dangerous. A steep trail, with sharp rocks, and even loose rock to trip you up. One could easily fall here and break something. The trail actually starts down below and away from parking, and anyone who knows will get the benefit of the more challenging and interesting trail. Of course, the street is close by, and road noise is inescapable. Even pretending to be in wilderness is impossible. All in all, though, for a convenient, in-city hike, it's not too bad.

We were in town for spring training and this was close by. My husband had back surgery awhile ago and was excited about going for a small short hike to get back into things. When the reviews read steep, they are definitely correct. It it steep for about half a mile. There are flat places you can stop for a second, but otherwise it's straight down or straight up! We were both very winded from going halfway up the peak. It was beautiful scenery for not going very far though, that was a perk! I'd rate this as moderate for sure, not easy, especially if there is an injury involved. This is not a flat hike.

I walked the entire loop with my 1 year old German Shepherd yesterday. Half of the trail is paved and the other half is rocky desert trail. We walked the trail clockwise so we did the rocky half first. It was almost too difficult at the top for her. several big steps that she had to climb up that made her very tired. For dog owners I would recommend walking up then back down the paved half only, or taking one of the MANY other trails located at this park.

A nice little Thanksgiving hike. I had never done this one before. I went up 7th Street, headed for Shaw Butte, but I stopped here instead. They're both part of North Mountain Park, I think. It's a pretty uninteresting trail. There is a steep climb at the start of the trail, although it is paved. It looks like a service road. I can image trucks going up the road to service the towers at the top. It does top out at just over 2,000 feet. It may be around three miles up and down. It's in the heart of the city, and you are never out of site of roads and houses below. For an in-town get away, I guess it's not too bad. There are lots of trails in the park, most of them flat. This may be the most difficult hike in the park, even if one would not consider it difficult. Oh well, it's close by anyway!