National Trail

National Trail is a 15.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This trail runs the length of South Mountain Bring plenty of water as this is a long hike. Lots of rocks, no water on this trail. I was eight miles into it before I saw anyone.

Completed on Feb 6, 2016. My first hike on South Mountain and was surprised by it's beauty at every turn. The terrain changes as often as the city views. Completed "Coast to Coast" in just over 6 hours and registered 17 miles on my tracker. Perfect time of year for this type of hike. Will keep it as a tradition.

this is a great hike to push your endurance. there is NO water available. it took us 8 hrs to hike this.

My favorite stretch of National Trail is that between Bursera and Pyramid, and in fact you can hike these three trails in a loop that begins by going up Bursera and ends by climbing down Pyramid. I've hiked a majority of the length of National so far, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. Great trail.

Well We decided to go from the west end to East end of South Mountain with the National trail. We parked at the Pima Canyon trail head (get there early, or you will end up parking on 48th St an additional mile from the parking lot). We then drove over to 43rd Ave and Estrella and parked the dead end and hike the .5 miles to the San Juan trail head. We continued along the National Trail, stopping for lunch and a few caches along the way. Made it to the end of the National trail, and hiked out to the Pima Canyon Trail head. The most painful part was the last mile down to the car on 48th Street. It was about 90 degrees and we started at 8am and made it to the car at 4:30pm. Long day...but worth it! We each had 3L plus and additional 1.5L and the guy of our group ran out of water close to the end.

I have done only about 4 miles of the National, beginning at Holbert and ending at Ranger. In between, the National is stunning. It sweeps beneath the South Mountain radio towers, and takes you to within just a couple hundred feet of them. Continuing west from Holbert, about halfway to Ranger, the trail meets a summit road, where there is pleasant seating. Telegraph Pass heads south from National at that point, on to Ahwatukee. There is also a Native-American appearing hut close by there, which is also a good place to stop. West of there begins a steep climb on National, that continues to the top of the mountain to the west. I have to say that I did the Holbert-National-Ranger trail on two occasions, beginning and ending on 15th Avenue, south of Dobbins. It was 14.8 miles on my odometer. The first time, I was unprepared for it and it almost killed me. It was late June, and I ran out of water early on. I struggled across most of National and all of Ranger, and then across the desert to finally find my way home. I was near death! I did it again the next week, and that time prepared for it and managed it well. The first trip was 13 hours! The second only 6. The desert in late June can be very brutal. A good, challenging hike anyway, with plenty to see.

It was kind of humid today. I really did not see much on the first 8 miles of this hike, but after that lots of Chuckwallas and birds. Not to many hikers today maybe 4 or 5 on this long hike