Mohave Trail (#200)

Mohave Trail (#200) is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I walked over to Piestewa Peak Park today from my home nearby on 12th Street. I planned to do the 1A around the back of the Summit mountain, but as I walked in to the park on Squaw Peak Drive, I looked over to the right and saw an appealing peak I had never paid any attention to before. There were no trail markings visible near the road, and hiking off-trail in the park is strictly prohibited, but I thought I would hike out a bit just to see what I could see. From the road it looked like the desert rose directly up the the summit, but as I approached I saw that the desert rambled off to the right while the summit rose up abruptly to the left. My dream of finding a new and unmarked path was quickly dashed as I came to an unmarked but still well-tramped trail with boot prints and broken beer bottles to show that I wasn't the first one there. The first trail ran out at a wash and I headed up the mountain, not quite sure what I might find. There wasn't a trail marking to be seen on either trail, but I headed up anyway. When I got to the top I found the marker, and it was 200, the Mohave Trail! I have been on Mohave several times but I have always approached it from the trailhead just off of Squaw Peak Drive. One time I peaked over the top and wondered if it might be possible to head down that way and wind up where I wanted to be, but I didn't try it. Today, that's how I got to the 200, sort of the back way. Anyway, fun and different today at the park. If you find it, you'll enjoy it.

I hiked Mohave 200 today. Nice short hike but somewhat different that it goes to the top and then down the other side. When I came back down decided to take the 202 connector trail. If you like walking a loop take the 202 all the way to Quartz Ridge trail and up over the peak. Then take Margaret Hamilton back down to the parking lot. This empties out at the top parking lot but it's a short walk back down to Mohave Parking. Got there at 8am and all parking was filled (Saturday). Almost no one on the 202 or 200. Quartz Ridge is busy.

Short, easy beginner or warm up trail.

Went up the 200A today. That is the Eastern wing of the Mohave, also known as the 200. The 200 sweeps West from the trailhead,and the 200A sweeps East. The 200A is a more difficult hike, proceeding through switchbacks up the side of the mountain to around 2,000 feet. It appears to be just about twice as high as the 200. The 200 is a more interesting hike, with unique rocks and plant cover and the opportunity to bushwhack off-trail to reach the top. There is no bushwhacking on the 200A, but it tests your lungs and your legs anyway. The trail continues down from the top and seems to travel off into the distance, but from the top, there is a great view all around. Mohave is directly across the street from the Summit and it provides a good view. 200A looks to be only about 500 feet under the Summit, so it's a climb to the top. The 200A a little bit offbeat for Piestewa Peak Park, but still fun to do and a little bit challenging.

it was my first hike in years and it was a great hike. I will be going back again.

This is another good alternate hike in the Phoenix Mountains Park. It is far less crowded and quite scenic. I parked at the Mohave lot and took trail 200 to it's end for a great view of the rest of the park, as well as the city. The 202 trail is great too, you can take an unnamed trail to the top of a mountain before looping back to the connector trail. This is a steep climb with great views. This trail is great for views of wildlife, nature, and big and beautiful houses. Good for solitude as well.

Back on Mohave today. A quick hike after work. This is a short, fun hike that lies directly across Squaw Peak Drive from the Summit. It is not terribly difficult, but you can raise a sweat if you hustle. It might actually be a bit boring, except for the chance to do a little bushwacking on the way up. To find a little adventure, where the trail turns right to continue along as it is defined, veer left instead and start scrambling over rocks. That course is manageable, even if a little bit unfriendly. The trail definitely ends there and the hiker is left to scramble up the rocks to the top. It is not really difficult, but one could easily miss a step and crash down onto rocks. Reaching the summit from that approach, one finds the rough end. There are pretty rocks at the top and a great view of the Summit. There is also a face along the western side and I think that is one of the few places in the park where a hiker could die. Mohave is the 200. There is also the 202, which is the Mohave Extension. That is also a decent hike, and they can both be done on one trip.