Mohave Trail (#200)

Mohave Trail (#200) is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went up the 200A today. That is the Eastern wing of the Mohave, also known as the 200. The 200 sweeps West from the trailhead,and the 200A sweeps East. The 200A is a more difficult hike, proceeding through switchbacks up the side of the mountain to around 2,000 feet. It appears to be just about twice as high as the 200. The 200 is a more interesting hike, with unique rocks and plant cover and the opportunity to bushwhack off-trail to reach the top. There is no bushwhacking on the 200A, but it tests your lungs and your legs anyway. The trail continues down from the top and seems to travel off into the distance, but from the top, there is a great view all around. Mohave is directly across the street from the Summit and it provides a good view. 200A looks to be only about 500 feet under the Summit, so it's a climb to the top. The 200A a little bit offbeat for Piestewa Peak Park, but still fun to do and a little bit challenging.

it was my first hike in years and it was a great hike. I will be going back again.

This is another good alternate hike in the Phoenix Mountains Park. It is far less crowded and quite scenic. I parked at the Mohave lot and took trail 200 to it's end for a great view of the rest of the park, as well as the city. The 202 trail is great too, you can take an unnamed trail to the top of a mountain before looping back to the connector trail. This is a steep climb with great views. This trail is great for views of wildlife, nature, and big and beautiful houses. Good for solitude as well.

Back on Mohave today. A quick hike after work. This is a short, fun hike that lies directly across Squaw Peak Drive from the Summit. It is not terribly difficult, but you can raise a sweat if you hustle. It might actually be a bit boring, except for the chance to do a little bushwacking on the way up. To find a little adventure, where the trail turns right to continue along as it is defined, veer left instead and start scrambling over rocks. That course is manageable, even if a little bit unfriendly. The trail definitely ends there and the hiker is left to scramble up the rocks to the top. It is not really difficult, but one could easily miss a step and crash down onto rocks. Reaching the summit from that approach, one finds the rough end. There are pretty rocks at the top and a great view of the Summit. There is also a face along the western side and I think that is one of the few places in the park where a hiker could die. Mohave is the 200. There is also the 202, which is the Mohave Extension. That is also a decent hike, and they can both be done on one trip.

Mohave is one of the more interesting trails at Piestewa Peak Park. Not overly difficult but it can still raise a sweat. There are 2 sides to it, the 200 Mohave and the 202 Mohave Connector. Getting to the top of the 200 it is necessary to scramble over fallen down boulders and then up to the top. There are good views from there. The 202 is the more difficult trail, climbing through switchbacks steeply up the side of the mountain. Either way there is a little work involved.

Thought I'd try a new hike today, so I tried this one. It was a Nice trail, not difficult for me at all. The first part is steep, but after that, mostly flat. Like I said, a nice (nature) trail. Probably won't do it again.

My friend Alice, and of course Happy the Dog, met at the trailhead at 8 AM. The parking lots were filling up, but we both found spots to park. The trail markings weren't as clear as they might have been; that is, if we had kept our eyes open, we would've seen the small note on the last marker that read 'Trail Ends'. Since we didn't, we forged ahead, thinking we were still on the trail. Once we figured out there were no longer any markers, we headed back the way we came, and I guess we get extra credit for extending the trail. Not sure I would call this trail EASY, as it was a pretty significant cardio workout. I was pleased that there were so few people on the trail, and those we met were happy to meet Happy, off leash though he was. Gorgeous day, good trail, I'd do this one again.

Snuck over to this trail today for a quick after-work hike. It is conveniently located about halfway along Squaw Peak Drive, turning off of Lincoln. It is an interesting hike, presenting good diversity and even some challenges along the way. Traveling southwest along the trail, one comes to a short scramble to the top of the mountain, where the 200 continues along. The very top is no more than about 1,400 feet. At the top appears the only real danger on the trail, being a fairly sheer face that falls all the way down. Watch out! The top presents beautiful views of the close-by Squaw Peak summit, plus the various surrounding mountains. A good hike! Be sure to try it.