Mescal Mountain Trail

Mescal Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Love the view and open space on this trail!

This is well marked and if you like to hike loops you can continue to Deadmans then continue on long Canyon. Makes for a good 5 mile hike and the views are spectacular!

This is an amazing trail . The views were amazing . U do hike along the ledge for a distance which makes this trail great . More bikers then hikers but not many of each . I highly recommend this trail -did it twice in 2 days .

Very enjoyable

We did a short out and back hike to the bowl (1.8 miles in) from the Long Canyon trailhead. I would rate this section as an easy to maybe moderate all season trail, with nothing much rough or steep. More bikers than hikers, but not a lot of either. Good view lines for the bikers, so no surprises. We had a nice quiet off-trail spot for lunch at the bowl. Fabulous views from that vantage point, but the trail itself was meh.

We did about 2.2 miles of this trail starting at the intersection with the Deadman's Pass Trail and completing the loop back to the Long Canyon Trailhead. This was a really nice trail with excellent views. The skill level was easy to moderate. The attraction was the portion, about a mile+ that traverses a rocky ledge about half way up Mescal Mountain. The thrill of walking that ledge makes me give this a 5 Star rating. My wife is afraid of heights and this was right at the upper range of her comfort zone. But she did it and really enjoyed the thrill. This is also a mountain biking trail and we met several while walking the ledge. At some points the trail has two branches. One is rated difficult for mountain bikers and the other is rated extreme. I would rate them both frightening. However, I am also a mountain biker and I have promised myself that on my next year's Sedona Vacation I am going to bring my bike and try this one, even if I have to walk my bike along parts of it. Maybe you will meet me next year sitting on the ledge with my bike trying to screw up enough courage to get back on and conquer this one. Dave

We did this hike yesterday with 3 kids(11 year old twins and a 9 year old). Great views all around and not a big incline overall. Met about a dozen mountain bikers which was fine. Kids enjoyed it.

A few mountain bikers and even less hikers. The trail took us up and around the gorgeous red rocks for a view that is not to be missed!