Massacre Grounds Trail

Massacre Grounds Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In 1848 Mexican miners of the Peralta family were taking gold from the area when Apaches pinned them down against a black rock wall and the miners died there at a place that came to be known as the Massacre Grounds. The Dutchman Jacob Waltz allegedly came upon their goldmine but took its location to his grave.

Should not be rated as easy but it was amazing! Best trail so far! The hike to the waterfall is as pretty as the destination!

Loved the hike, trail pretty easy to follow, water streams thru out, waterfall flowing at end, beautiful day, i clocked in on my gps at 5.78 miles, 2.40 hours

Approximate time:
~ 90-120 minutes going up, 60-75 minutes going down.

Word of advice:
The hike is easy initially then it becomes moderate due to rocks and elevation gain. Do not forget to stop and look around - those Superstition Mountains are stunning!

About the trail:
Although it's far from the city and just past the Lost Dutchman State Park, the drive is worth it.

My experience:
It was my second trip in as many weeks. I wanted to go again as rain was in the forecast for the weekend and I didn't want to lose out on hiking. It was cloudy - perfect to my liking. There were many small groups hiking and they were from all over the country. I was amazed to see how many people actually come to AZ just to enjoy the beautiful weather that we have here. There were many places where it was dense and I hoped nothing comes out from those areas. I am saying that because we are close to the spring time. I purposely carried the trekking sticks with me just to make some noise and scare those creatures away. Alright, it isn't that scary! It was all in my head. LOL! I noticed that a few varieties of flowers have started to bloom. The mountains were green and had plenty of grass. The hike is one of the most beautiful hikes I have taken. The terrain kept changing every 15 minutes or so. The Massacre Fall was pretty much dry but had some water trickling down. Once you get to the top, you get to see the Four Peaks and Weavers Needle as well.

Such a pretty hike! It's so scenic and beautiful. Also very easy.

This was a random trail we picked as a getaway from Phoenix. The whole trail is really beautiful, full of massive saguaros and lots of other great desert plants. It starts of as a nice little walk and gets much more difficult as you go up. The waterfall at the top is totally worth the effort, and the views are picture perfect Arizona desert.

I really enjoyed this hike but I wouldn't rate it as easy. You climb 1100 feet in 2.5 miles. There are some steep and rocky slopes. Bring plenty of water, it's a workout if your not used to hiking. Well worth the time.

Good exercise Md could keep a fairly fast pace thru most although some areas were pebbles. Nice destination waterfall.

was good hike ...had a great day with my son...seemed longer but was good

The hike itself is amazing. It'd be fairly easy I believe if my husband and I weren't alternating between carrying our 40 pound two year old the whole way up and then down on our shoulders. It's a fairly easy hike. There's a few rocky sections that can be a little difficult to get through if you aren't being careful and taking your time. The main and probably only issue with this hike is that it is much longer than most people anticipate. We had to ask ourselves on the way up and were asked several times on our way back down at about halfway up the hike if the falls were close. It made me feel a lot better about not being the only one to underestimate the length and intensity of this hike. Regardless, no matter how far away, the answer was always the same, it's worth the trip. The falls were beautiful and so are the views once you get to top. We will definitely be going again soon!

Excellent views, a little farther to the waterfall than anticipated but overall very nice trail.

Beautiful Hike!

I would definitely say it's more of a moderate hike than easy. mostly uphill, really gets your heart rate going. pretty easy to follow i had to look ok the map a couple times but if all else fails take the right forks and follow the horse poo. @coalerz