Massacre Grounds Trail

Massacre Grounds Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In 1848 Mexican miners of the Peralta family were taking gold from the area when Apaches pinned them down against a black rock wall and the miners died there at a place that came to be known as the Massacre Grounds. The Dutchman Jacob Waltz allegedly came upon their goldmine but took its location to his grave.

beautiful view many rock formations to climb on

From the parking lot it was unclear whether to start at the opening in the fence on the left or right. Go through the opening on the left, cross a wash area and the trail begins straight ahead on the other side of the wash. I'd rate this easy-moderate. Beautiful hike and lucky enough to have water flowing in the falls. This says it's a loop trail, and although I'm sure there may be a way to loop, we just did an in/out.

Beautiful trail, hiked in early January under cloud cover. Took 2 dogs, lots of cactus in the beginning to be aware of. The hike in is tough, I would say more moderate than easy. Waterfall is worth the view!

Went on this yesterday and found it to be moderate with some markings difficult to follow.

Unfortunately, the app stopped recording when we reached the top. Our intent was to do the 6 mile loop. The Trail at the top was not well marked and we could not see which way to go so we headed back down . The views were as always spectacular! The main Trail wasn't well marked either, but it was well traveled so it was obvious where to go. Plus there were lots of cairns along the way to keep us going in the right direction. Even though my recording says 1.8 miles we actually went 4.5miles.

I thought it was challenging! Starts out pretty flat but then gradually builds uphill the rest of the way. It was a great workout and I will definitely be back! As for dogs, we have a medium-sized Doxie and I'm glad we didn't bring him because I don't think he would have been able to keep up. Also, we measured it closer to 5 miles.

I would say this trail is moderate. Beautiful views and quite a bit of uphill. Explored to the area where water falls. Felt more like 8 miles than the 5.... definitely a must do. The sign is now gone, once you park at the area of massacre Grounds and Crosscut, make sure you take the trail to the left. I was shown this trail by a Meetup group. Come to find out, the group said it was massacre trail but they showed me crosscut trail. Massacre trail is a better hike, more views and more perspiring required. Glad I finally found the true trail. It's amazing

Nice easy hike, however trail was difficult to follow!!!

Moderate, not easy. Best in cool weather.