Massacre Grounds Trail

Massacre Grounds Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, AZ that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In 1848 Mexican miners of the Peralta family were taking gold from the area when Apaches pinned them down against a black rock wall and the miners died there at a place that came to be known as the Massacre Grounds. The Dutchman Jacob Waltz allegedly came upon their goldmine but took its location to his grave.

Nice easy hike, however trail was difficult to follow!!!

Moderate, not easy. Best in cool weather.

Really beautiful in the spring, even with the falls dry. Ran into a rattlesnake and there are lots of bees. This is definitely a more moderate trail than easy. Lots of ups and downs with rocks. Worth it.

Very nice views with a great assortment of Sonoran desert vegetation. I might bump the "easy" rating up to a "moderate" as the trail is basically a long steady climb from beginning to the summit. That being said, the climb was well worth the effort. There are 2 trails out of the same parking lot and each offers a completely different experience.

Nice hiking. Up at the cliff watch out for bees! BAD!!!!

A good trail. Well marked. It seemed longer than six miles but I need to check my GPS to be sure. It got quite warm in the afternoon so we were tired my the time we got back to the vehicle. We found a camera where we left the vehicle. I will post some pics on this site in case the owner sees them and can claim it.

Beautiful trail. Be careful if you take dogs though. Mine got multiple cactuses in his paws and feet even staying right on the trail with me

A stimulating physical hike, just right.

Nice view at top.

Great hike for beginners. Really nice after a hard rain so the waterfall is active

A nice, mostly easy trail, with a couple short moderate to difficult stretches. At the end you can get up on a high mesa with awesome views, or you can go down to some pools below the waterfalls (if there's been enough rain lately for them to be running). I like hiking this trail as sunset is coming up. I always see wildlife and see (and hear) an awesome variety of birds. There are several small ridges, and a few caves along the trail that make for great spots to watch the sunset. There are more visually spectacular trails in this area, and they are more popular and crowded. If you don't have time to drive another 30 miles out somewhere, and are looking for some peace and solitude around sunset, this is your trail. I might be the only other one you see out there!

Nice out & back trail, would rate it moderate (not easy) for most hikers, however it's easy enough for the hard core to make a full on assault. Great views from on top.

Visited a second time with my son. We did the trail then bushwhacked west, hit another trail and returned to the parking lot. One of many nice hikes in the area. This one is short enough for anyone to enjoy. It is a gradual climb all the way but very doable for most anyone.

Perfect hike to take advantage of perfect Az winter weather. I went with friends and didn't know what to expect but it there were some areas of loose rocks and elevation was up and down a lot which I like. Our dogs had a great time on the trail but just watch out for cactus. I definitely plan to go back to see the falls after a rain and to explore some of the caves we saw along the way.

Nice easy hike out and back. Great for an October morning.

Absolutely beautiful back country. Trail was a bit difficult but considering I'm chubby and have bad knees, it wasn't too bad. The falls was dry, they really only flow after a rain storm. But was still interesting to see the cliffs. Took me about 5 hours round trip.

Great arizona views. I would rate this as moderate though due to the elevation is up and down so the reflected total gain is misleading as i bet it's 4 times that. Did this with my Nike sneakers and did fine.

A little difficult for this older person with artificial knees. Made it to the top and back in 4 hours including a side trip to the pools beneath the falls so my dog could jump in. Lots of up hill hiking with very little shade after the first couple miles. All in all an enjoyable hike.

Easy fun hike, with two kids ages 7 and 11. Beautiful. There were lots of areas where the water was running off the rocks, Great views!