Marshall Lake

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Marshall Lake is a 18.8 mile out and back trail located near Flagstaff, AZ. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking.

18.8 miles Out & Back

Great area for camping as well as hiking/trail running. Beautiful scenery and really peaceful!

I hiked from Marshall Lake to Fisher Point View (this is about a 6.5 mile section of the AZT). I could hardly notice that I was hiking down into a canyon due to the long and winding subtle descent. But since its over 13 miles round trip I did feel pretty tired when I finished. The first 5 miles or so are unvaried scenery through ponderosa forest. There are maybe 2 or 3 steep but very brief drops. Once in the canyon (almost 5 miles in), it's a beautiful walk through open meadows and eventually past Walnut Canyon National Monument. At the monument it's another .5 mile up to Fisher Point where you get a nice view of the canyon and meadows you just walked below.

Beautiful! I would not go again in the Summer butter recommend others to go in the fall or winter. It is more than a moderate hike, expect more uphill than you think .