Lutz Canyon Trail

Lutz Canyon Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The trail surface is very rough as it follows a dry creek bed most of the way. Stay aware when other creeks cross your path or you will lost the trail. The cairns setup by previous travelers are sometimes the only way to see the proper path.

We took Lutz Canyon to get to Miller's Peak. It was beautiful, challenging, and a lot of fun. Bring plenty of water and watch out for rattle snakes!

Good luck finding this trail. The Park Service has no signage whatsoever until you are at the trail head which is where the road dead ends. (I have updated the directions) On the way I felt as if I should not be there, especially when I passed a sign stating it is legal to discharge firearms beyond that point. Can you hear the banjos too? I was considering a u-turn but that is impossible on this road. Second, the "trail" is a dry creek bed and has every perfectly sized rock to twist your ankle on. I was there for trail running which is impossible, so after about 1.5 miles I decided I was not having fun and turned around. If you plan to hike this trail, wear BOOTS. Photos added.