Lower Salt River Nature Trail

Lower Salt River Nature Trail is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

beach

Would have been a nicer hike if was cleaner. Lots of graffiti, litter, and bees. Cool view of Four Peaks. Would not go back though. There are much nicer hikes near the Lower Salt River.

Beautiful! Though I wish my fellow humans who used this land would clean up after themselves! So much garbage everywhere, it is really sad and does detract from the beauty of the landscape.

Easy and fun.

Read some reviews that were very negative. Almost stopped us from going. We found the main trail easy to follow. We did not need a seeing eye dog. look around and pay attention. Trail markers are an upright with arrors to keep you going in the correct direction. No major trash as reported. Yes there was some litter near the river. Did come across some soda cans which when we return to park with trash bags will retrieve. Scenery is very beautiful. Did not see anything but some birds. Nice walking trail.

Fun easy trail to do! We got off the trail a couple of times and ventured closer to the river now and then. We spotted 2 wild horses! So cool!! Beautiful views and a great place to see fall colors!!

Educational signage. We parked up the road. Would have been chocked. If we paid the parking for for this little hike.

ATTENTION HUMANS: YOU SUCK! I'm sorry, but this place is a disgrace! There were piles of trash in places. And I'm not talking about an occasional water bottle or food wrapper. I mean LOADS of garbage, some near the water line! There is spray-painted graffiti on the boulders...so tacky! I am just very ashamed of the mess that this natural habitat has become. And those horses have to live amongst all that trash!
I see people on here complaining about the horse droppings on the trail. Sure, that was an inconvenience, but I can't be mad about it. We were in THEIR home, after all.
As for the hike itself, these were my issues:
1: You have to pay an $8 day use fee in order to park there. Yet there is no evidence that this trail/rec area ever gets maintained....EVER!
2: There is no trail markings at all. I saw one sign at the parking lot denoting the trailhead. But we were left to guess about the rest of it. We followed a couple foot paths that went along the river. We had to scramble up and down a few rocks, some very tall and steep. But through it all we never came across a discernible "loop trail". This came as a surprise to me because typically National Forest trails are very well marked and maintained.
**However, having said all this...we came to see wild horses and we were not disappointed in that aspect. We saw 4, and they were beautiful!**
But PLEASE people.... **PLEASE** be more careful about cleaning after yourselves.
PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT!!!

90 minute hike. Some signage missing. Saw 7 wild horses, 2 on our trail, one scorpion, one rattle snake, bees, birds and one dead wild hog. Trail varies from rocks to beachlike sand, easy, nice breeze, loved it.

Good for fat dogs (like mine) and kids!

Beautiful views, amazing to see so many horses in the wild grazing! We helped a crawfish get untangled from some fishing wire :)

Cons: trails and signs are very unclear. A 45 minute hike turned into 2 hours. Do not take dogs unless they are used to heat and hiking. Very little shade on trails. Lots of trash and lots of bugs near water. Lots of bees on trail in flowers. Bring lots of bug spray, and sunscreen. Trails do not seem to be walked on often, we got a little cut up from the overgrown bushes. Lots of horse dumpings on trail paths.

You will have a great time if you go prepared :)

Beautiful trail and perfect for bringing kids!

Was a fun trail I think we did some overlapping with another trail. Ended up at 2.45 miles. Saw 3 horses, a dead horse, and 2 large rattle snakes as well as normal bunnies and birds.