Lower Salt River Nature Trail

Lower Salt River Nature Trail is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, AZ that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

beach

Read some reviews that were very negative. Almost stopped us from going. We found the main trail easy to follow. We did not need a seeing eye dog. look around and pay attention. Trail markers are an upright with arrors to keep you going in the correct direction. No major trash as reported. Yes there was some litter near the river. Did come across some soda cans which when we return to park with trash bags will retrieve. Scenery is very beautiful. Did not see anything but some birds. Nice walking trail.

Fun easy trail to do! We got off the trail a couple of times and ventured closer to the river now and then. We spotted 2 wild horses! So cool!! Beautiful views and a great place to see fall colors!!

Educational signage. We parked up the road. Would have been chocked. If we paid the parking for for this little hike.

ATTENTION HUMANS: YOU SUCK! I'm sorry, but this place is a disgrace! There were piles of trash in places. And I'm not talking about an occasional water bottle or food wrapper. I mean LOADS of garbage, some near the water line! There is spray-painted graffiti on the boulders...so tacky! I am just very ashamed of the mess that this natural habitat has become. And those horses have to live amongst all that trash!
I see people on here complaining about the horse droppings on the trail. Sure, that was an inconvenience, but I can't be mad about it. We were in THEIR home, after all.
As for the hike itself, these were my issues:
1: You have to pay an $8 day use fee in order to park there. Yet there is no evidence that this trail/rec area ever gets maintained....EVER!
2: There is no trail markings at all. I saw one sign at the parking lot denoting the trailhead. But we were left to guess about the rest of it. We followed a couple foot paths that went along the river. We had to scramble up and down a few rocks, some very tall and steep. But through it all we never came across a discernible "loop trail". This came as a surprise to me because typically National Forest trails are very well marked and maintained.
**However, having said all this...we came to see wild horses and we were not disappointed in that aspect. We saw 4, and they were beautiful!**
But PLEASE people.... **PLEASE** be more careful about cleaning after yourselves.
PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT!!!

90 minute hike. Some signage missing. Saw 7 wild horses, 2 on our trail, one scorpion, one rattle snake, bees, birds and one dead wild hog. Trail varies from rocks to beachlike sand, easy, nice breeze, loved it.

Good for fat dogs (like mine) and kids!

Beautiful views, amazing to see so many horses in the wild grazing! We helped a crawfish get untangled from some fishing wire :)

Cons: trails and signs are very unclear. A 45 minute hike turned into 2 hours. Do not take dogs unless they are used to heat and hiking. Very little shade on trails. Lots of trash and lots of bugs near water. Lots of bees on trail in flowers. Bring lots of bug spray, and sunscreen. Trails do not seem to be walked on often, we got a little cut up from the overgrown bushes. Lots of horse dumpings on trail paths.

You will have a great time if you go prepared :)

Beautiful trail and perfect for bringing kids!

Was a fun trail I think we did some overlapping with another trail. Ended up at 2.45 miles. Saw 3 horses, a dead horse, and 2 large rattle snakes as well as normal bunnies and birds.

definitely beautiful scenery however the amount of garbage all around was very unpleasant. I also did not feel very safe even with my dogs.
Perfect area for a picnic with friends.

I enjoyed the hike, very easy. I saw three bands of horses, hawk, Cardinal and a Kestrel. I would go again.

This was a beautiful area and extremely disappointing. The trash was everywhere. How heartbreaking to see such damage. Saw two horses along the river. The trails were very sandy so expect a bath afterwards.

Disappointing. The trail isn't clearly marked; we found our way by following the piles of horse manure and garbage. There were unattended/illegal fires, lots of garbage, and minimal views of the river. The trail was clearly un-maintained. The number of flies and bees is outrageous, and be prepared to walk through a LOT of spider webs. It's an easy trail, when you know where the trail actually is. We wouldn't recommend this trail to anyone. Also- there was a bobcat.

The trail is unmaintained, unmarked, strewn with trash, vandalized with spray paint, and littered with horse feces in various states of decomposition. But the river is nice.

Potential to be beautiful if it was cleaned up. Graffiti and trash was disappointing.

Awesome and easy

We went to Salt River trail today, the directions leads you to a parking lot where you can access the trail, parking lot stated that you must have a parking day pass to park, didn't know where to purchase one, everyone's pass said day pass we were only staying an hour so we walked the trail, hiked a couple rocks, stayed close to the water most the time. Didn't see signs for trail so can see how people get lost, if you stay close to water you won't get lost. I took my wife and two year old son he loved it, just had to help him on the rocks.