Lost Goldmine Trail (West section)

Lost Goldmine Trail (West section) is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Apache Junction, AZ. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Easy trail - inclines are gradual and few. Hiked here again today and did see a rattlesnake on the trail about 1/2 mile in. Tossed a stone near it and it quickly went into the bushes.

Super easy hike. Had three little ones and all did great. We didn't make it to the end, but nice flat smooth path and great get away from the city. We parked on the street as the small parking area was full but we only passed one person. Area is full of saguaros and very picturesque. Only three stars as it isn't the most exciting both in challenge or in variation but for what we needed it was perfect.

We completed this trail with a mixed group, it connects to Jacob's Crosscut and goes up to a cave overlooking the Phoenix valley. That is a very good vantage point for seeing the valley and it would be nice to watch the sunset from here. The trail is very washed-out and the rounded rocks left make it very difficult to walk on. It isn't a great idea to go off the trail as it is not very clearly marked and there are some dangerous creatures in the area- we saw a funnel spider on the trail. The cacti need some respect and space as well. If you get caught up in one, it can be hard to get all the spikes out. Bring tweezers, a comb, water, and band aids. Our friends showed us that a large comb is good for removing the cactus. I fell because of the wobbly rocks on the trail and got splinters in my hand. Also bring a flashlight if you are hiking in the afternoon in case you don't get back as quickly as you planned. If I do this again, I will wear hiking shoes that support my ankles as well and bring more water.